Snorkeling and Unwinding

Tioman Travel Blog

Salang beach

After a ferry ride which I can hardly remember, for I treated the bench as my own bed, I found accomdation in a jiffy and headed for the beach.  All the accomodation in Salang is pretty much the same.  Standard bungalow with fan, bathroom, and that's about it.  For AC or TV the price will go up white extensively.  At a place like this, who needs TV or AC?

Renting some snorkeling equipment (I don't dive, although I hope this to change), I made my way into the water and enjoyed in throughout the morning.  There were many colorful fish, tons of choral, and the most sea cucumbers I have ever seen in any kind of area.

I enjoyed some fresh tom yam at a restaurant with exquisite views.  After spending the preceding days sightseeing, traveling, and hiking, the quiet surf and turquiose waters were just what the doctor ordered.

Monkey Bay

I decided to do the 2 km or so hike over the mini-mountain to Monkey Bay,  It has monkeys, how could I not?Taking some not-so-good advice from the hotel consierge, I did the hike in flip flops.  Slipping and sliding within my shoes from the steep incline and resulting sweat, the hike took a bit longer than expected.

Seeing some monitor lizards and a few monkeys along the way, I arrived at the beach, sharing it only with another couple.  I did some snorkeling and swimming here again, and swung from a make-shift swing into shallow water.  Probably not the best idea.  With the beach now to myself, I again relaxed and finished the book that had occupied my time during many bus rides.

After some more much needed R&R and a few dinners, I commenced the night with some drinks.

Blue fish