Singapore

Singapore Travel Blog

Landing

As hungover as I can ever remember being, post-college anyway, I rolled out of bed on the wrong side of noon and headed downtown for the Asian Civilizations Museum.  Realizing the highlight was a Viet Nam exhibit, I stayed with mostly the exhibits related to other Asian countries.  The museum was clean, much like the city, and fairly well-organized.  The Singapore concentration appealed most to me, because I did not know much of the history, and that's where I was.  I know more now.

Then, after some lunch, and about 14,000 juices/waters/etc, I headed for the Singpore Zoo.  Too hungover to deal with the bus, I took a cab.  I've wasted money in worse ways.  Now, I will preface this with the fact that I am not a guy who is into zoos.

Tortoise
  Surely, I love nature and, more specifically, wildlife.  But there is something about seeing an animal in a cage/zoo/fenced in versus seeing an animal in the wild.  Probably my two favorite things about traveling are food and wildlife.  But, I had heard good things, mainly from a dude hiking in Taman Negara, and decided to give the zoo a whirl.

It was pretty damn good as far as zoos go.  Nice collection of animals and clean (again, of course, its Singapore!) facilities.  But, also you get to get pretty upclose with some of the animals.  Mainly, in the rainforest section, you have lemurs within a few centimeters of you.  Also, many birds and lizards play the game too!  There are a few other sections where there are no boundaries between you and the animals.  Also, I am not one for giftshops, usually just pass without giving a second glance..but the Singapore Zoo's is alright.  Keep in mind, I was hungover and not myself.

Meeing with a few more tb's, we headed to a made-over hawker center for some grub.  Some satay, chili crab, shrimps, rice, something else, lots of juice...just waht the doctor ordered.

Monkey