Uncelebrated Birthday

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Not exactly the Ritz

I had celebrated my birthday the night before, dinner, stuff like that.  So on my actual birthday, no celebrating was done, save my friend taking me out for lunch back in Ho Chi Minh.  Anyway, my flight got delayed from 10:30 to 3:15, which is odd, because there is only one flight via Vietnam Airlines from Saigon to Kuala Lumpur...you think they would have that down to a science.

Arrived in Kuala Lumpur and I was already struck by moderness, and I've only seen the airport.  It is light years ahead of Ho Chi Minh, but I don't that that's necessarily a good or bad thing.  Took the KLT to Sentral Station, spelled with an "S" and walked around the building until I found the MRT (monorail), which was on the outside, thus it took me a while.

Fish-head curry
  Headed to Bukit Bintang area which appeard to have some budget hotels and searched until I settled for a 45 ringit a night place with hot water and AC.  Not bad for Kuala Lumpur, I was told.

Forcing to get myself up from the intial plunge into the bed, I set out for some food.  Got the fish head curry which I read was a speciality of Malaysia.  Note: I would later find out it was a speciality of Singapore.  But regionally, a speciality, we'll say.  It was delish, and I decided a walk to get my bearings was in order.  Three minutes I was a sweaty mess and nixed the idea and decided to grab a few cold ones to cool me down, literally.  I hopped in a bar and watched two dudes play pool, which was fun, except it wasn't.  Then after having, oh, conservatively 30 people asking me for a foot massage, I hopped into another place.  15 Ringit for a beer, lordy.  Not that the first place was much better at 12, but I thought that was the high end of the stick.  Deciding that I needed the contents of my wallet more than a few more beers, I called it a night..

flying_dolphin7 says:
Ooooppp i missed ya birthday.
Happy Belated Birthday Seth.. may your dreams come true!!!
Posted on: Jun 20, 2008
jennethm says:
Hey, belated happy birthday Seth!
Posted on: Jun 20, 2008