Barge Trip 4

Carcassonne Travel Blog

Stephen:

La cite de Carcassone, the largest walled town in Europe, is a top five tourist attraction in France.  We walked up to it and split up. Dawn and I ended up taking a French language tour of the inner chateau given by a young, Polish woman in her first week of giving tours. She spoke slowly and clearly and was talking about stuff that I had read about, so I had the impression that I could actually understand a foreign language.  I even began to hear the dates!  Her study was religious history, so most of what we heard about was the terrible religious conflicts that plagued this area for so long.  Down the road in Bézier (where Dawn and I would say good-bye to Linda and Sage at the end of our journey) is where one of the cruelest statements of war was uttered.
Canal Bridge
Simon de Montfort, when asked how to sort out the heretics from the believers in the recently captured town said, “Kill them all, let God recognize his own.”  Some of us remember an echo of this in Vietnam.

Meanwhile, she is talking metaphysics of religion to a crowd of tourists with cameras round their necks and tow-headed kids in tow.  Something about one group believing in the duality of existence and the other group not.  At that time, the distinction seemed to be enough for make one group wipe out the other’s town.  For those who want more information, search on Catherism or Albigensian Crusade.

On the way back, we found a small grocery store, and we stocked up on the aforementioned goodies.  Sage and I are now the wine guys, and we point and shoot our way to a selection of red and whites.  Preparation seems easy.  As many people as possible work as can find room and the rest hang out and do dishes afterwards. The cheese is great and after dinner we head for the nearest bar for Ricards.  We play the Gypsy Kings on the jukebox and see the biggest dog I have ever seen.  At first glance I thought it was a stuffed cow in the bar, but when I looked back in five minutes I noticed that it had moved, and then that it was moving!

Carcassonne