Barge Trip

Toulouse Travel Blog

The Barge Trip
Friday, May 16

We are now in Cézac but it is not the beginning, rather the middle. The beginning is of course at Logan airport where we got our flight to Amsterdam.  I hadn’t paid much attention to our itinerary when we got it and so was horrified to find we had a five hour layover before our flight to Toulouse.  We took good advantage of it by finding some large couches upstairs and sleeping for a couple of hours. The rest of the day was spent in flying to Toulouse and then getting a hotel, changing money, getting into town, finding out about the train strike, arranging to get to Le Segala the next day by substitute bus, calling home, and having dinner.

Le Capoul, according to the guide book is a three star hotel with a lively brasserie downstairs.  We don’t stay in three stars but we did eat at the restaurant.  It was great.  For me, one of the most important parts of a restaurant, strangely enough, is its sound.  I think it is created by the combination of three things; the right lighting, the right room architecture and the right clientele.  La Capoule had high ceilings with the tables fairly far apart, quite bright lighting and I think interesting customers at tables for four or more.  What you get is a background noise that feels like much interesting conversation that you can’t make out the individual words.  It had a vibrancy that could be felt.  Oh yes, the food was good, but not great. Great food brings a reverent hush.  This was not a place of culture, but a place where culture is created anew by the interaction of the people. I even remembered to go back and get my bag which I had left under the table.
photo by: ikebana