arrival in Jakarta, Indonesia

Jakarta Travel Blog

Shane as a tradional Javanese dancer - Asri's friend is an artist - she asked him to do something and gave him 2 photos of me

I landed around 2pm Jakarta time on may 28th and things went pretty smooth. I got in and paid $ for my visa ($10 for under 10 days, $25 10-30 days) they accept US currency but have the change ready dont give them a $50 or $100. Then I passed through customs. I was focused on my carry-on luggage and getting to the right places, so I could catch my next flight, so no pictures taken. I had a porter help me with my bags and lead the way, and he had a cell phone so I could call my friend and see where she would meet me. I met my travel companion Asri (acy_jkt) outside the terminal and we took a bus to the other part of the airport where most of the local flights are out of except garuda air I believe. We went through security (easy compared to the states and europe) and we paid the airport tax(yes, in Indonesia and i think someone said Hong Kong you pay the airport tax seperate not with your ticket purchase) (so have your indonesian $ = idr with you if taking local flights to pay the tax). There was a nice girl at the check-in , she was taking time to do something, did not know what at the time, turns out it might have been to upgrade me to business class as some of the smaller planes are not really suited well for 6 foot tall people (no leg room at all- knees crunching against seat). After that we messed up and almost missed our flight, we were the last ones on and thanks I think to the airlines noticing my height (compared to Indonesians I am a giant :) we got to sit in the front row. It was a short 1 hour or so flight but still nice not to have my knees crushed into the seat in front of me.  Soon we were off, and next stop Yogyakarta, also known as Yogya for short.

As Asri and I shared this trip , we also decided to share the blog. You will find some things written from her standpoint and some from mine.

So if you see "shane had the grilled tuna" don't worry, its not me talking in third person! :)

mr_shanet says:
cool WANDERLASS thanks :) what is it, if u have like 1000 islands or whatever like indonesia and phillipines u do taxes different? :) haha
Posted on: Dec 02, 2008
wanderlass says:
RE: airport tax. In Philippines, yes. None in HKG. :)
Posted on: Dec 02, 2008
YantiSoeparno says:
Nice picture... you are lucky to have it.
Posted on: Jul 14, 2008
Shane as a tradional Javanese danc…
Shane as a tradional Javanese dan…
photo by: cicie