Chaco Culture National Historic Park Travel Blog

Chaco Culture N.H.P. entrance.
After entering the park , we drove past the Gallo Campsite for tents and RV's. Further down the road, we stopped by the Visitor Information building and picked up maps and other handouts (which are invaluable for navigation).  Then drove to the far end of the one-way loop that circles Chaco Canyon. Our first stop would be Pueblo Bonito. I had seen so many photos of this structure over the years, it was hard to believe that I was here. We started taking our own pictures immeadiatley. I had also brought along plenty of black and white film. I was hoping to get some great shots and was rewarded many times for doing so. I think b/w landscapes are terrific. As we made our way through the various rooms and doorways, I couldn't help but wonder about what it had looked like in all its glory back in the day. Walls and ladders intact. The glow of fires emitting through every open doorway. Kivas yawned wide now. Their roofs disappeared over the hundreds of years since smoke had last wafted through their ladder doorways. Pine poles brought miles away from Colorado, exposed to the elements slowly crumbling into ruin still. The site has an eerie, yet peaceful quality to it. Yeah, I could see how years after it was discovered, this place could be called beautiful.
Pueblo Bonito sign.
Behind Pueblo Bonito along the base of the canyon wall towards Chetro Ketl, you'll find a row of petroglyphs. Most are ancient, recording important events, prayers and gods of their world. You'll even find "modern" graffiti, left by passersbys from the 1800's. As you come into Chetro Ketl, it makes you wonder what this place had been used for?  Was it living quarters? Or place of trade? Smaller in area than Pueblo Bonito, it still is a wonderful example of Chacoan architecture. While stepping back to get a photograph of the entire structure, I noticed how well it blended into the landscape. No wonder it was almost missed by Spanish explores in the 1700's, who made mention of this in a journal while on campaign through the Southwest. The site had already been abandoned for nearly 500 years! Amazing. We wanted to explore more of these ruins, but were on a schedule. So we packed up our cameras and headed north towards Bloomfield and Salmon Ruins.
lonlee2 says:
Thanks Aerynn! I have long been a fan of b/w. My exposure was off, but thanks to programs I can make them however I like. I left these as they were taken however. I lends them an old "feel".
Posted on: May 31, 2011
aerynn says:
It's awesome that you also shot B/W at this site. :)
Posted on: May 31, 2011
Pueblo Bonito marker.
Pueblo Bonito marker.
Chetro Ketl petroglyphs
Chetro Ketl information sign.
Chetro Ketl information sign.
Chaco Culture National Historic Park