Uluru to Kulgera

Kulgera Travel Blog

Cabin
The first 250 k’s of this trip were the same as yesterday as we travelled back to the Stuart Highway which travels the country from North to South through the centre. This part of the trip was quite dull as we had seen it all before, but as normal we had our eyes peeled for wild-life. We had been told that this section of road was notorious for camels, apparently Australia has more wild camels than Saudi Arabia… apparently! This section of road is also speed limited to 110 kilometres, so it seems slow as you drive. When we did get back to the highway, we speed up a little and about 40 minutes later arrived at our stop for the night.

Kulgera, is a combination of a roadhouse for petrol, shop, pub, restaurant and hotel with a population of 14 people, 4 dogs, 1 horse and 6 fish.

Jordan sitting
Out in this part of the country the pools they have at hotels all have a shade cloth cover over them to protect you from the sun’s harmful UV rays, but what this also does is make them extremely cold as they don’t get the sun. Reagan is an avid swimmer but as she still can’t swim needs one of us present in the pool and she delights in jumping in and paddling to us. Today was my turn to brave the cold… I lasted about 5 minutes and it was even too cold for Reagan after a couple of jumps. The outside temperature was probably around 35 degrees and I think I saw some ice floating in the pool… brrrrr.

After our brief swim I took the girls to the pub so I could enjoy a cold beer, and we could let Trish have an afternoon nap. A while later Trish arrived at the pub, while I was busy entertaining Reagan while I played myself in a game of pool ( I won). We then had dinner in their restaurant, then we went back to the room and went to bed. It was at this bed stage that we also realised that Reagan’s ‘teddy’ which she uses at bed-time, was still enjoying the luxury of the resort at Alice Springs, some 350 kilometres away. He will now being enjoying the wonderful service that Australia Post offers and meet us in Adelaide… hopefully… not that I haven’t got any faith, it’s just that I’ve worked there. Tomorrow we head to the opal capital of the world!!!

Kulgera by night
Kulgera by night
At the pub with the kids
At the pub with the kids
Merv & Reagan braving the cold wat…
Merv & Reagan braving the cold wa…
Reagan asleep