Rockhampton to Moranbah

Moranbah Travel Blog

First House
The first leg of our trip began at the scheduled time, which was quite a surprise. We had planned to leave the room at 8 and we were actually gone by 8.05, which for us is very good. The car was packed to the roof with all our worldly belongings and we didn’t have any idea where anything was, it was hard enough fitting it all in. As soon as we left Rocky we headed west through the town of Gracemere on our way to Dingo, where we would turn onto the Fitzroy Development road through to Middlemount and then around to Dysart, the Peak Downs mine and then on to Moranbah.

The further west we got, the dryer the country turned until the surrounds were dry and brown.

Second House
The grass looked brown and dead and so did the trees. The road there was littered with dead carcasses of roadkill, and amongst the more interesting was an Emu. I had seen plenty of dead Kangaroos by the side of the road, but never an Emu before. We had started a fatality list and tally of the dead kangaroos, but some where along the way, we either forgot or lost count, but it was a few.

Moranbah also happens to be where I had my first brush with someone famous, but this was before they were famous. I remember her well, and although not best friends, we knew each other and would talk together. The first time I saw her run she looked spectacular, I remember how she seemed to glid across the grass seemingly effortlessly, whilst leaving everyone else in her wake. That person was Cathy Freeman, and she was a great person and brilliant runner.

Grosnvenor Creek Sign

Moranbah had certainly changed since I had last visited in the early nineties, with house springing up where the bush used to be, and not just the usual fibro clad mining house, these were very modern designed houses out of Home Beautiful magazine. The only brick residence I could ever remember was the Doctors house and the rest of the houses were almost the same, just different colours. The town now had a variety of takeaway shops including KFC, and new buildings had sprung up over old favourites. I had to visit the old pool I used to train in and I was disappointed to find out that the 2 pool records I had at the pool had now been broken, the longest standing was my boys 8 year old 200 metre breaststroke time of 4.00.75 minutes, which was established in 1980 and only broken last year… 24 year record… not bad.

Although the town has grown, parts like the town centre seemed somewhat smaller, maybe as I was driving instead of riding my old BMX bike? Who knows exactly why I felt like this, but the old sleepy mining town I had enjoyed as a kid had definitely vanished.

Drovers Rest Motel
Roadside stop
Trish & Jordan
Trish & Jordan
Moranbah Hotels & Accommodations review
The only Motel in Moranbah!
We only stayed in this Motel for one night but it was quite comfortable. It is located centrally in the town, with shops within easy walking distance.… read entire review
Moranbah