Port Augusta to Adelaide

Adelaide Travel Blog

Name says it all
After our trip to the Doctor we started our trip to Adelaide, capital of South Australia and the city of churches. Luckily we didn’t have a long trip, only about 300 kilometres and once we were about 100 k’s out it was all motorway. Navigating our way to our accommodation wasn’t too bad, I’m never really good driving in traffic of a place I don’t know, but we managed. Once here we got to our room and realised it was barely big enough to swing a kitten let alone a cat, so we asked about other rooms. The one we got was slightly bigger, mainly in the main living areas, which can make a lot of difference.
Cabin

After we settled in we headed out to do some shopping and then plan our stay in Adelaide. The next day we drove to the city centre from where we could catch a free inner city bus to take us from one side of the city to the other, which was quite handy. The first stop was the Central Markets, which was quite interesting and Trish was in heaven. Shopping in a food market must be Trish’s second favourite thing, the first being just shopping. After the markets we made our way to the Mall, where we did some more shopping, this time I got something, an electronic language translator… exactly what I need for Holland.

That night we got a baby sitter and went out to dinner for our anniversary to a restaurant called “The Greedy Goose”, which for fans of reality TV was the winner of Australia’s second season of My Restaurant Rules this year.

Central Market Adelaide
We had the same entrée, apparently it was lasagne, but not like any I’d ever had and I had a really nice beef dish for my main while Trish ate a cute little duck, well actually just it’s legs. Desert was a cheese platter for Trish and a very, very rich chocolate ravioli for me. The chocolate didn’t really mix too well with my beer though and it was too strong for my taste, but it was nice.

The next day we ventured into wine country, the Barossa Valley. We went there via a scenic route which followed the River Torrens up past two lakes and eventually onto the Barossa Valley. The drive was spectacular with lots to see and many places to stop, the only bad thing were the lack of road signs, which made things confusing at times. It seems that South Australians either 1.

Church
Only ever travel one way, therefore why sign post anything from the other way and 2. The sign everything 500 metres before you need to turn and have nothing on the turn??? Luckily we kept our sense of humour.

I had opted to drive for the day, the fact that I don’t like wine made that easy, which meant Trish could be free to sample some wines. The first place we stopped was great, Trish sampled wines while Jordan watched on and Reagan and I went for a scenic walk around the area. We did the tourist drive thing and went to a lookout etc, and after a few more bad road signs ended up at the second winery after 1pm. It supposedly had food available or so we were lead to believe, and we were hungry. After no food and some bad service we left hungry and empty handed and went in search of some food. About half an hour later we found a nice café and enjoyed some hotdogs for lunch.

We really enjoyed Adelaide and we will definitely be coming back here to explore more of the region at a later date. Tomorrow we travel to Mt Gambier, home of the Blue Lake.

Dublin, Australia
Dublin, Australia
Run down house
Run down house
Grape vines
Grape vines
More grape vines
More grape vines
Winner of the 2005 My Restaurant …
Winner of the 2005 "My Restaurant…
Trees