Moranbah to Cape Hillsborough

Cape Hillsborough Travel Blog

Beach Access
As we left Moranbah, I decided that trying to capture my youth in this town was never going to happen… so we left that part of my life well behind. On the way to our next overnight stop, Cape Hillsborough, a national park about 45 minutes north of Mackay we had a few stops. One of these was a pub that my Dad used to stop at regularly on trips back from Mackay. It was called ‘The Retreat’, and I couldn’t remember anything about it… I told this to the barmaid and she said, oh, we’ve rebuilt since then! After that we stopped in Mackay at our friends, Jon and Liz, we had planned to meet at their house before travelling a further ¾ of an hour north to Cape Hillsborough.
Brown snake

We had arranged adjoining accommodation in the Cape Hillsborough National Park Resort. The rooms were only a stones throw from the beach, but the quality wasn’t worth the money we had paid, very dated and not maintained very well, but the position was good. After unpacking we sat and had a drink while the kids played, Jon and Liz have 3 boys aged 5, 4 and 16 months. The two eldest and Reagan play really well together which gave us a chance to catch up. Jon and I met 4 years ago when we started studying the same Uni degree and found we had a lot in common and although his family lived over 300 kilometres we met late in 2002 and we have remained friends since. Jon and I have done several subjects together during the course of our degree have just completed our second project together, we can often get talking ‘shop’ which bores our wives a little, so we try to do it when they aren’t around.

During the afternoon we took the kids for a swim and then after Jon and I cooked some meat on the BBQ we all sat down and ate together. After we got the kids to bed we played a game and after the girls went to bed, Jon and I consumed a few more beers and talked ‘shop’. The night was briefly interrupted by a poisonous snake which Reagan and I almost stood on, but after recovering from the shock of that it we had a very enjoyable night. The next morning we said our goodbyes and began the next leg of our trip.

Isaac River
Swim time
Swim time
Cape Hillsborough Hostels review
Great Location on the Beach
The location of this Motel style accommodation is brilliant, right in a national park and on the beachfront, but the location is about the best thing.… read entire review
Cape Hillsborough