Hughenden to Mount Isa

Mount Isa Travel Blog

Wild Bird... not a Brolga
Well once again I was told on this trip I would see plenty of Emus and this time also brolgas, now I had expected an abundance of emus and although more than yesterday, it was only two and they were so far off the road it was hard to get a good photo. I don’t exactly know what a brolga looks like, so I’m guessing I didn’t see any. I was surprised by the countryside we drove through; it didn’t seem to change for hours on end, until the last 100 kilometres or so before Mt Isa, when we drove through a range. At one stage Trish commented on how many overtaking lanes there were, we didn’t quite realise that these were for overtaking the very slow moving road trains as they ascended the range. One milestone we came across was our car clocking over 200 000 kilometres, which probably isn’t correct seeing that the Speedo is incorrect, it is actually out by about 10 kilometres.
Hottest ever Australian Temperature
So when the Speedo says we are doing 110, we are in fact doing 100, it can be confusing.

Once we arrived in Mt Isa we were greeted by two huge smoke plumes, I guess from the smelters here which process the ore that is found in the underground mines, which I’m told is among the best in the world, and so it should be, the town is about 1000 kilometres from the coast. The actual mine is under the town and the town was literally built by the side of the mines, which is quite unusual for a society today. The town seems very laid back and we visited the lookout, from which you have a great view of the mine and town. Then we went to visit, The Outback at Isa, a museum and fossil centre all about the area, which was quite interesting. Whilst there we went to a café at the centre and who would guess that 2000 k’s from Rocky someone would know me.

Car eating Car
I had run into the mother of a guy I had gone to school with, small world again.

Mt Isa seemed like a nice place but I couldn’t imagine living that remotely. The weather was overcast and rainy mostly while we were there, which is very uncommon as usually the area has very hot temperatures. About an hour before Mt Isa is a town called Cloncurry, which proudly boasts to have the highest ever recorded temperature in Australia, back in 1889, when the mercury hit a staggering 53.3 degrees. And that was in the days before electricity and air conditioning. It was also at cloncurry where we saw some mining eqiupment from the former mining town of Mary Kathleen, which is now a ghost town. I'd hoped to visit the town, but there wasn't even a turn-off anymore, maybe they hid the place, after all it did mine Uranium!

Next up on the list will be Barkly Homestead, our first venture outside the state of Queensland as we enter the Northern Territory. It’s only taken us a week and about 1900 kilometres into he trip and only another 200 to go tomorrow before we get to another state of Australia, it is a big country, and out this way very sparse.

Mining equipment