Goulburn to Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

Bowral Oval
Today we didn’t have too far to travel so we decided to take our time and explore a few towns off the highway. The first stop was a place called Bowral and for those Australian die hard cricket fans, this is the birth place of the legendary, Sir Donald Bradman. Trish has absolutely no interest in cricket so she sat in the café while Reagan and I explored the Bradman Museum, on the edge of the Bowral Cricket Field. For those not familiar with cricket, Bradman was a phenomenal player who during his career also captained the Australian team for quite a few years. Records held by him still exist or have only just been broken. But despite this you must remember that he played in a bygone era when the equipment was basic and conditions very different than today. It was very interesting and it felt like I got to know him a bit, and again, I’m more of an Aussie for seeing it.
Reagan with Sir Donald Bradman

We were staying with an old mate of mine in Sydney, Leon; it had been 10 years since I’d seen him and we both have families now. When we got to Sydney I had thought ahead and had two different routes to make it to Leon’s place, but amazingly neither were signposted as exits (the streets that is), so we ended up near the city and about to take a tunnel bypass, when we realised and turned around. We hadn’t bought a directory of the city and the one I had on my computer wasn’t quite good enough for the city. Anyway we ended up near it and then asked for instructions so we got there.

Leon cooked us a great BBQ that night and we sat down and talked until late. The next day the weather wasn’t very good, so Leon offered to take us to a Westfield shopping centre, which are pretty big.

Bradman's cap and blazer
We spent some time there before having lunch and then heading back to their place. By this stage Trish and I had decided to leave Sydney a day early and get on our way to Brisbane and start getting ready for our leaving the country. The whole travelling around Australia with our kids and living our of suitcases was starting to get the better of us and we really wanted it to end. It’s not that we haven’t enjoyed it, it’s just that it was hard work.

That night we packed the car a bit in preparation for leaving the next day, we quite often did this to save time in the morning. What I didn’t realise is that this was a bad mistake in Sydney. The next morning when I started packing the rest of the car I noticed that we had a smashed window on one of the doors.

Bradman's Bat
Someone had smashed it and taken off with Reagan’s DVD player and a backpack containing some of Jordan’s toys, some shoes for the kids and our DVD collection. I had never been the target of a break in and it felt quite weird. I should of known better than to leave something like the DVD player within view but in the I didn’t realise that crime was this bad in the outer western suburbs of Sydney. After a long conversation with the insurance company we arranged for the repair of the widow and then Leon led us through Sydney to where the car was being repaired. The drive took us through the centre of Sydney which although it was a Sunday was a very busy drive. On the way there we stopped at a shopping complex and purchased another DVD player and a new car booster seat. We got on our way after 1 pm which meant we’d be driving into the night to make it to our next destination Coffs Harbour. We arrived there at about 8.30 pm.

Bradmans cap and blazer