Albury/Wodonga to Goulburn

Goulburn Travel Blog

The Big Merino Sheep
We left Wodonga that morning, but as we only had about 300 kilometres to do we weren’t in too much of a rush. First we stopped at a place called the Ettamogah Pub, which is a fictional place from a cartoon drawing. It is quite unique in that it has been built how it appeared in the cartoon, including curved and sloping walls and roof. Next stop was Gundagai, where there is a famous monument, the dog on the tucker box, which is from a poem written in the 1850’s depicting the Australian Bush. Just before we said G’day to the dog we decided to stop at a service station which conveniently had a McCafe (not sure if this idea is in Europe yet, but the Aussies invented it, it’s McDonalds’ version of a café, which if you drink coffee, which I don’t, is apparently pretty good) and Subway.
Castle Rock Lookout
I have really come to like the food from Subway so I was really looking forward to eating one, little was I to know that this would actually take me another week to get. When we walked in the door we asked for a highchair, which people with babies often do, but we must have been the first people here to ask that as they didn’t have any? I mentioned this to the manager, who made a lame excuse about insurance not allowing highchairs. Just after this Trish was consuming a coffee with the baby on her lap and you guessed it, the baby almost grabbed the hot coffee, basically because it was within reach, which could be solved with a highchair?

Next the baby required a nappy change, which I went to do. They had a mothers room, or for me I suppose we should call it a Fathers room, that a bit sexist isn’t it, naming it a mothers room, when dad’s these days, or at least me, do actually tend to babies also.

The famous Dog on the Tucker Box
Anyway, in Australia they provide quite well for parents, with most toilets having some facilities, usually some description of moulded table shaped to keep babies from rolling over and off the table; some even have a strap to wrap around the baby for added safety. This place had a thin narrow flat bench… after changing the baby and her almost falling off, I went to the manager again… his excuse this time was that the ‘portable’ one they keep supplying keeps getting stolen? I would of expected a permanent solution to fix that problem? I wasn’t very happy with this place by now so I decided not to purchase anything from here and then when I visited the toilet I was greeted with a floor littered with bugs and with puddles of water? I didn’t think this was either safe or very sanitary and Trish had a similar feeling when she went to the toilet.
Ettamogah Pub - Based on an early 1060 cartoon series
After speaking to the owner of the Subway shop, which rents space from the building and pays for cleaning etc, I got the name of the local Health and Safety Inspector and rang him to make a complaint. I just hope something gets done to improve the place.

Anyway, after this we continued our journey and got to Goulburn, our stop for the night. When we got there we did some shopping and made dinner. Trish cooked spaghetti and meatballs in a space not much bigger than a sink, which was a credit to her adaptability and it was very nice. The next day we went to see a lookout, which was closed for renovations and then onto the Big Merino, a large sheep attraction, as this area is famous for all the sheep. The merino wasn’t all that interesting and we soon left on the next leg of our trip to Sydney, the largest city in Australia.

The famous Dog on the Tucker Box
Ettamogah Pub - Based on an early …
Ettamogah Pub - Based on an early…
Green Hill