The basic plan for my trip

College Station Travel Blog

Tinkerbelle, my co-pilot
After working for 10 years at the same job, I have grown tired of the life style that I lived for, one of working hard for money and buying stuff that only made me happy for a little bit of time. For years I have yearned to travel and see place but never had the time because of work and my dog. I have traveled for 1-2 weeks before, always leaving my dog behind, which was very hard on me because I would worry about her and miss her constantly.. 2 years ago I got very close to living the dream of traveling and taking my dog with me when I purchased a 1972 VW Bus. With the bus, I would convert it to a camper with a bed and fridge and such so I could travel to Canada/Alaska/Mexico and South America. After 2 years I was able to get the bus in a condition that I felt safe to drive long distances in it, but due to gas prices and the original owner really screwing me over by not filing to get the title, I have yet to be able to register the bus to drive it legally and with the price of gas, my budget was almost out of reach to do what I wanted to do.
Tinkerbelle keepin it cool

Not swayed from my desire to travel, I did some soul searching to figure out what route I wanted to take. I had already invested a large amount of money into my unusable bus, I needed something that would allow me and my dog to travel in comfort and I wanted to do it without having to fear the price of gas. I considered doing long distance biking, finding a honda motor that mounts on a bike that puts out 175 miles per gallon, but while I was younger and travelling in Mexico, I would remember seeing the long distance bikers and how nasty/dirty they were and that idea was completely out of the question. I finally settled on buying a sail boat. Doing this, I could motor around if I wanted to and use the wind as my main source of power, never being required to keep using gas if I didn't want to.
Sleepy time

After a good amount of soul searching, I came across a 1968 Westerly Sail boat, 30 foot in length and 8 foot wide. This boat came on craigs list in Houston and I watched it for a while. The price the owner was looking for was around my budget, but it looked like it would require some work to get it 100%. After contacting the owner, I asked him if he was willing to take less. He informed me that he would have to discuss it with his wife before he could give me a answer and that he would call me at the end of the week.

Looking on ebay, I noticed the same boat was up for auction. Jumping on the chance, I bid on the boat and held the highest bid for 5 or so day at a 1/5 of what the price on Craigs list was.
I call the owner again and inform him that I was the highest bidder of his boat on the auction and questioned if he would be willing to cut a deal. After a night sleep on it, he called me back and said he would sell it to me out of auction at a very nice price.

I call my good friend Huy and let him know of my new purchase, just to have him let me know he has been in my boat already. Comes to find out, the owner of the boat was the father of his girlfriend. I just had to laugh at how crazy everything came together, I think this boat was ment for me.
College Station