So amazing..

Centralia Travel Blog

where 61 stops..
Well my cousin, Shauna, and I went to Centralia.  There is a really neat section of Route 61 that is closed off because the underground fire made it crack and completely messed it up.  First off, let me give you all some background on Centralia in case you don't know about it.  I think the year was 1962 when someone was burning garbage in a pit and there was a piece of coal sticking out of the ditch (attatched to a vein).  It caught up in flames and then the fire spread through all of the coal vein underneath the mountain.  Apparently they "attempted" to put it out but were unsucessful, and then took a break (which doesn't quite make sense) for Labor Day, and attempted to put it out once again and couldn't.
  Basically now there is enough coal for it to be burning for hundreds of years.  It really is neat, but it puzzles me.  I feel like there is some type of governmental scam behind it.  Not only did they pay 42 million dollars to relocate the citizens of Centralia but they just left it there.  Now it's burning, which i'm sure CAN'T be good for our environment, and is putting people in danger all over the coal region.  There is smoke rising all year round from areas where the ground is cracked.  Tell me there is a way we could get SOME good from it.  I'm sure we could make energy to fuel cars or homes somehow.  It all just confuses me a little, and I definitely want to go back and explore more, as well as research more on it.  It truly is stranger than fiction.
geokid says:
I did several Environment projects in this town!!! Very interesting place!!!
Posted on: Oct 28, 2009