Where are the falls? Aw, that's not part of the Itinerary. :)

Majayjay Travel Blog

Facade of the Church
After our Pahiyas Experience albeit the rush to capture whatever we can in 4 hours in Lucban, we needed to head back to the tour bus for our lunch in Majayjay. I was not really expecting anything grand to happen in Majayjay. The only thing I know about this town is their awesome falls and it was not even part of the itinerary. So there, the long and winding road from Lucban to Majayjay made me dizzy and fell asleep most of the time until we reach the place where we were going to eat.

Alas, another surprise, we were going to have our lunch in a resto next to a massive and imposing old spanish church. Apparently, This church is the biggest and oldest in Laguna which was built in 1611— thru pola or forced labor during the Spanish regime.
The golden retablo
It was burned down in 1711, and then reconstructed with the help of the people in a task which took all of 19 years. The church has rose-colored bricks, stonewalls covered with moss and vines, a beautiful towering retablo and five bells more than a century old.

After lingering inside the church for an extended time - to escape the heat outside and I was in awe just to enjoy the adornments inside this church, we went out for lunch, a buffet lunch which was part of the itinerary. We were served with chicken, roasted pork and tilapya in coconut sauce. As we finished our lunch with fresh coconut drink, I noticed my cousin stood and took picture of something on a plate held by the owner (I only assume this) of the resto. Then we I got closer, that's when I realized that that was fruit bat cooked in an adobo way. Then the guy offered and I took one. The whole of the bat skeletal structure was there, and it was a painful sight.
The poor bat
.. and scary. Anyway, I still took a bite, a portion from the shoulder of the bat which I think was a safe spot. It tasted like chicken's liver but in more rough way. I didn't like it. To the least, I can claim now that I ate fruit bat with dignity and poise. Hahahaha

After the bat episode, the same guy approached us and offer a shot of the local wine... Lambanog! I love this one, taste better than vodka for me. :) I had two shots and it made me sweat like a pig especially that it was a sweltering hot that time of the day. I had to change clothes and I blame it to the Lambanog. :)

We stayed in that town for few more minutes before we head next to another town... in Liliw.
chefjanjie says:
Were you able to see the falls in Majayjay? It's actually located outside the town. About 20 minutes ride and 15 minutes walk. Best time to go there is during weekdays where not much people are going there. Lapit lang din yan sa Lucban. I always love that place, kaya lang they commercialized the place already. There's a hotel na and they made a man made trail going there. Before we used to trek for more than an hour, walk thru a knee deep mud and river trail. They've change a lot in that place. Nawala na yung serenity and nature ambiance ng place.
Posted on: May 16, 2009
Me with my mom and sister
Me with my mom and sister
Majayjay Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Titanic Place & Torio's Canteen
This is part of the package but judging from the price list, this place is a cheapo. It was a buffet lunch that was offered to us - with tilapya in… read entire review
Majayjay