There's a reason they call it fishing

Punta Cana Travel Blog

My puppy!!
So, today was our deep sea fishing day. We took off from the hotel with two other guys (so, me, my boyfriend and two other, 4 people) and drove to the boat shop.
Ok- sketchy moment, this place is like behind a resort, with really nothing there except a beam with some rope on presumably to hang your catch on.
Anyway we took a ride out to the boat and headed out, or thought we did. Clearly there was some issue and the dingy came flying after us a few minutes later and the guys all yelled at each other. I don't speak Spanish, but clearly we were not happy. Anyway, they resolved the issue and we headed out to open sea.
1 hour in- no fish, feelin' pretty good, kinda cool to see the island from so far out
2 hours in- no fish, feelin' a little queasy but ok...popped a Dramamine
2.5 hours in- no fish, quite likely going to puke...
3 hours in- caught a bird, still no fish, starting to feel better
3.5 hours in- got a fish, one of the other guys reeled it in, small Mahi Mahi (or whatever it is!), pretty, feeling better
4 hours in- no more fish, almost caught some drift wood, headed back in

SO in the end, there is a reason they call it fishing and not catching. Was it an experience? Yes. Do I need to do it again? No. Would I? Is there a guarantee I'd catch fish?
Punta Cana