A Wasted Day

Cork Travel Blog

We're on our way to Ireland!

This morning we awoke after a restless night. We headed upstairs for a free brunch of packaged pastries. Since the brunch was easy on the pocketbook, the room was packed and we were hearded through lines like cattle on a a cattle drive. There were workers who stood post at various points in the line to monitor that pastry selections. Whenever someone reached for two pasties, they were quick to march over and order them to put one down. Since I am a poor student traveler, I skillfully grabbed an extra jam-filled donut and blueberry muffin and quickly tossed them in my bag when the workers were distracted.

For several hours Jason and I sat in the cafe, reading books and writing in journals, trying to kill time.

I just want to dock this ferry!
At 5:30, we were herded through the dinner line like cattle once again. This time I wasn't as brave, and I only took my small alotted portion. Following dinner we grabbed our bags and formed a line to exit the ferry as soon as it docked. The clock read 6:20, and we knew the last bus ride to Cork left at 7 pm sharp, so we were anxiously awaiting the news that we could climb off of the ferry. A few minutes later we were off of the ferry and were relieved when we realized we were right next to the bus station. However, we were worried once again when we calculated that the bus wouldn't reach Cork until 11:15, and the last check-in time at our hostel was 10:30. Because of this discrepancy, I called the hostel to determine whether or not we needed to find another place to stay. Luckily, the lady on the other end of the phone was friendly and told us not to worry about it.

So, after a four-hour bus ride, we arrived in Cork and walked down the street to our hostel, which is called the Aaran House Tourist Hostel. The joint seemed relatively nice. It had a 24 hour TV room and kitchen. Out room was decent enough, although it was on the very top floor. We quickly through our bags in our room and went to bed. What a waste of a day.

Were on our way to Ireland!
We're on our way to Ireland!
Cork