One country to the next for just twelve pounds

Bristol Travel Blog

Matt go iPhone. Always connected. Sat alfresco outside the Albion Pub in Clifton Village enjoying a glass of cold Amstel.
Pushing hard on the pedals of my mountain bike, my man-bag, as Matrilla likes to call them, starts singing a tune. It's the mobile and the man himself. I was riding through the next village getting parts for the car and Matt calls, he's back in the country for more than a day. Brilliant. Twenty minutes later I was chucking car tools back in the house and finding some clean clothes. Within an hour and a half I was on the train to meet Matt for a catch up.

Despite only being about an hour apart, we technically live in different countries. I live in the Principality of Wales, Matt in England. We agreed to meet at 2pm at Bristol Parkway railway station, but just as I was about to enter the hundred year old railway tunnel that travels not far below the sea bed under the Severn River, Matt texts.
Matt go air. Can't help but socialise both in person and world-wide by wire and air.
"Are you running late". Quickly I click into text mode, "I am just entering the... T-u-n... Spell Check?" Argh no, not now. delete delete, "T-u-n-n", beep barp! Then the train entered the tunnel before I could hit send as the signal bars dropped away. I promply deleted the message and rewrote, "Just coming out of the tunnel" and waited until the train hit English soil.

The Intercity train slowed as it approached Parkway and I looked out of the right window, no sign of Matt's car in the car park. I look out of the left side and amongst the hundred or so cars stands a beacon of orange light known as the Porsche Caymen.

We headed into the depths of Bristol and up into the old town Clifton Village, sat in the nearest wine bar for thick chunky cooked ham sandwich with English Mustard in my case and, I think, chicken for Matt while we catch up and chat about what we've been up to recently, in Matt's case his mega travels to the states and why I'm wearing new clothes and in my case, my new little phone and... why I'm wearing new clothes. We mustn't forget the barrister who half way through our lunch found she'd just been sacked for going out for a heavy drink the night before and coming in late. Well thats responsibility for you.

We left the wine bar after lunch and hit one of Matt's old haunts just around the corner, The Albion. Nice old pub that sits down the end of a small alley with some out door drinking area. Matt periodically disturbed by the odd bing-bong on the iPhone delivering post from the states and me sadly updating my facebook profile to ensure people know I'm drinking Amstel. It was only the day after this trip that I found out from my Dad that my great-great-great grand father and wife and also his father all ran pubs in Clifton Village. We're not sure if the Albion was one of those, but it's a close enough coincidence.

It was quite a lazy day which I'm sure Matrilla will agree, especially after we got back to the town house in Portishead for a cup of Earl Grey wake up juice (tea) to counter act the effects of lager (beer) during the day. Big thank you to Matt for driving back to the station and that short stab on the accelerator which isn't as frightening as the strength on the brakes!

One thing that comes from this trip and my last trip to Cheltenham. Before buying train tickets within the UK from city to city, check the price if you split the journey into more than one ticket. My trip came to a mere twelve pound return back to Wales. Bargin.
CosmicTen says:
hehe, really?!
Posted on: Aug 08, 2008
jenn79 says:
Matt told me you were a good writer =)
Posted on: Aug 05, 2008
Matt go iPhone. Always connected. …
Matt go iPhone. Always connected.…
Matt go air. Cant help but social…
Matt go air. Can't help but socia…
170 km (106 miles) traveled