Three Sisters and Jenolan Caves

Katoomba Travel Blog

The Three Sisters - Blue Mountains
The next morning I grabbed a cab and got down to the cay just in time to catch my tour bus out to the Blue Mountains and Jenolan Caves. It was a leisurely drive out, allowing me to see some of the countryside as I went along. I struck up a few conversations along the way and before long we arrived at the foot of the Blue Mountains. As we were climbing the mountains, I began to wonder who it was that thought these long bus should go up these narrow roads? Twice we scraped the guard rails on our assent. Tower euctyliptus (sp.) trees looked like shrubs from our view out the windows to the ravines far, far below. A few harrowing moments, but we arrived unscathed! We took in the vistas of the range and the beauty of the "Three Sisters" formation. The guide told us the Aboriginal story of how they came to be and then we drove off to Jenolan Caves.
Jenolan Caves entrance.
The caves were wonderful. They had lights set up in various areas to show off the stalagmite, stalagtites and deposits that showed like limestone theaters. The roofs were so high, you'd swear you were in a cathedral. I wanted to take more pictures, but wound up with postcards. My camera just couldn't do justice to the scenery below in the darkness. I managed to get one decent shot. After the caves, we headed back and stopped for lunch at a place called "The Bilpin Fruit Bowl". It had an amazing assortment of fruits and pies. My favorite were the traditional Australian shepard's pies. D-lish! We got back to Sydney that evening and I spent my final night at this hotel. Tommorrow I'd head for the beach.
Cavern formations.