Day 1: A quick lunch then off to the beach

Mescalitos Beach Club Travel Blog

Pirate Statue at Mezcalitos
One of my favorite lunch spots is a little place called "Sabores".  It is right behind the hotel Augilar and like many places in cozumel is a small family home that they open during the day and serve very good food at very reasonable prices.

Lunch is about $5-$8 including the tip and that gets you a starter, entree, drink (non-alcoholic) and desert.  they have a wonderful shaded garden area out back to enjoy while you eat or you can sit at one of the tables they have set up in the living room.

I highly recommend this place or another similar place called "Chilangos".

This trip is all about R&R so after lunch I grab my 2 meter para-foil (dual line kite similar to what kite surfers use but smaller for land use) and I head across the island to the east or "Wild Side" where there is very little development due to lack of services like water and electricity.

The "Wild Side" has some of the best beaches on the island and is open to the Caribbean Sea so the watter is rougher over there but the constant ocean winds make it the prime location for flying.

When you drive from the west side over the cross island road the first place you come to on the east is a little area where a couple of beach club/bars are located.  The place I go is called Mezcalitos.  Mescalitos is named after the liquor "Mezcal" which is what most people think of as Tequila with the Worm.

Mezcalitos has by far the BEST margaritas on the island and the best place to fly parafoils (kites) just north of the restaurant on the beach.

If you remember in an earlier post that there was a "Norte" or cold front that was on island when I arrived so this did make for some different flying conditions but I got my lines laid out and spent about an hour or so flying my parafoil before I decided it was time to hit one of the many hammocks that mescalitos has out for its patrons to enjoy.

I climbed into a hammock and took about a 2 hour nap in the cool northern breeze as the sounds of the ocean lulled me off to sleep.

I have some friends coming to the island in July and they will be staying at the Melia Cozumel so they wanted me to swing by and get some current photos so after mezcalitos I am off to the Melia for tonights Sunset.
Mescalitos Beach Club