Day 1: Leaving DFW

Cozumel Airport Travel Blog

I had a surprisingly easy drive to DFW, there was no traffic today and I ended up getting to the airport an hour and a half before flight time which was good because to my surprise my friend Nelda who lives in Cozumel was at DFW waiting on her connecting flight to the island from St. Louis.

We caught up on island happenings and when it was time to board we were surprised to find out we were sitting in the same row!

Flight was good but there was a Norte (cold front with strong winds from the North) coming in to the island so we had to circle around and land from East to West (which I have only had to do one other time in my 20+ years of coming to the island.

It was good because I have not seen the North Eastern side of the island and the Molas lighthouse since hurricane Wilma and you could really see all of the damage that still remains in this remote un-inhabited portion of the island.

I only have a carry on so i am thru customs and on my way out the door to Advantage Rent-a-car.  The only reason I mention my rental car experience is for those of you that may be traveling to the island to get some great information.

If you rent online in advance of your trip you can get a nice 4 door car with COLD A/C for only $13 per day thru advantage.  You must be careful of other drivers and mopeds but if you are staying away from the city center, particularly to the south end of the island cab fare is very expensive into town.

Not to mention you will want a car to drive around the island and spend time on the East Side.
Cozumel Airport