The long walk around the Sea of Galilee

Tiberias Travel Blog

When I got to Tiberias I thought everything was good, what I found out was that there were no more buses running around the sea of galilee that night. It is 12 km from Tiberias to ma'agan, or so they say, but it felt like a lot more. Especially with that duffel on my back, and after the sun went down, and since no one would stop to pick me up. Added to all that I was young and retarded, so I didn't bring water, and I was determined to walk it, come hell or high water. Well I should have stayed in Tiberias, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So I started walking, here's a note for you. In Israel in january it can be pretty warm during the day, and freezing at night. Especially up north in the Galilee. So if you're planning on making a long walk, do it during the day. Don't start during the day, get a good sweat worked up and finish when the it's 30 degrees cooler and you can't feel your face. That's what I did, and believe me, it sucked. Well I got to ma'agan around 10pm tired but not yet defeated. I think every Israeli teenager in the galilee had slowed down to honk and scream obscenities at me. But hey it was adventure and that's exactly what I wanted. Next time: Why you should learn about religion and how it relates to culture before you visit Israel.
Tiberias