Leaving Jerusalem for the open road

Jerusalem Travel Blog

Well my dad was on a tour of Israel for the third time, so I hung with him for the last 10 or so days. Now they've left, so i'm on my own. My plan was to go to the Galilee and start walking around to find a kibbutz. Let me add a little background here, I was 18 and i'd been reading a lot of kerouac, plus I knew someone who had done it, so I figured I was good. Most people who stay on a kibbutz or moshav in Israel use some sort of service to set it up before they even arrive in Israel. I now know why people do that. If you want to stay on a kibbutz, I highly recommend using one of these services, unless you're really into adventure. Back to the story, so I packed up my duffel and headed out for a little hummus and bread before I left. I went to the bus station in Jerusalem and got a bus too Bet-She'an, where I figured i'd get off and begin to look for a kibbutz to work at. With $100 in my pocket I set out.
mistyleatherneck says:
Thanks for the advice about using a service to stay on a kibbutz. I have planned my trip to Israel in 2014 when I retire to live on a kibbutz for a month. I am soo excited. any more advice?
Posted on: Sep 15, 2010