a 'Trini' primer

Trinidad and Tobago Travel Blog

Ok, so it’s clear from a lot of friends responses, that many people don’t know diddly about the islands of Trinidad and Tobago, where I am heading next.

What did I want to do on this trip? Diving, Food, Culture, Beach. Most of the Caribbean islands are expensive and have been wrecked (in my opinion) by tourism and beachfront condos. That kind of strips out most of what culture and food is there, and just leaves the beach.

These two islands lie just a few miles from South America, at the end of the chain of the West Indies in the Caribbean. It has its own self sustaining economy not reliant on tourism, which is partially why it stays low key. Tobago is the smaller island, very sparsely populated, surrounded by coral reefs in the water and full of lush forest reserve in its belly. Over 420 species of birds!

Culture… Music… Food? The steel drum was invented here, it’s serious business not tourist background noise in Trinidad! The Carival and some other festivals are world famous. The mix of races is crazy, almost like Brazil. And I have to admit one of the “decision” moments was watching one of my few regular TV shows - Bizarre Foods. He went to have this unique Trini specialty: the bake’n’shark sandwich. I had to have it.

I do have some jitters at the moment, which I find strange considering what I’ve done in the last year, and especially since this is the first mostly English speaking country I’ve visited since, uhhhh, 2004?

But no need to worry bout me on this trip…. I’m just hangin with my homies Hammerhead and Manta Ray.
PhinsAndGills says:
Trinidad and Tobago are on my "dream destinations" for many of the reasons you stated in your blog. :)
Posted on: Jun 14, 2008