Named a Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998

Sharjah Travel Blog

Sharjah is the more cultural and traditional of the emirates. It is religious and conservative to the definition of each, so much so that women can  not live with men unless they are married, not alcohol consuption is allowed and women have to cover themselves completely save for their faces.  Peter and I made a trip to Sharjah from Dubai one afternnon to see the historic city and eat some traditional food. Now, not to under estimate it's importance in tourism, in 1998 UNESCO named it a Cultural Heritage of the Arab world.

One has to visit the emirate to understand why it was picked by UNESCO as a heritage site; the beautiful mosques, souks and the numerous, well-maintained museums. We had a tour guide once we arrived in Sharjah, so we were able to see some of the attractions that make the city marketable. The desert park which houses the children's  farm and the museum of natural history. The Museum of Islamic Civilization was informative, displaying old artifacts of Islamic heritage. Of course I loved the Heritage Museum more.

"Travel is an exciting and adventurous passion, it is quite expensive but the reward outweighs the expense. If you can afford it, do it!" Africancrab.

Africancrab says:
Yes we did Vance, I loved it. I guess I did not pay attention to the residents and workers, but I can believe you.
Posted on: May 25, 2012
vances says:
Sharjah is beautiful in places, but is more and more just low cost housing for ex-pat laborers. Last time I was there it reminded me of the Bronx!

Did you get to the Blue Souk?
Posted on: May 25, 2012