Laos! Wonderful Laos

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Laos was a dream place to spend 8 days in. I wish I had spent more time there.

Word of mouth about Laos was exactly as it turned out "fantastic, laid back & welcoming". After spending more than a week in busy Thailand, Laos was the perfect country to visit next.

We arrived in Huay Xai by boat from Thailand. Huay Xai is quite unspoilt by tourism so it was a completely different pace of life from Thailand.  There is only 500 people in the village and electricity is turned off after 10pm. Dinner was fantastic here and so were the fruit shakes.

A must see is the Pak Ou Caves in Laos. A fast or slow boat is needed but it is worth the visit.These caves are special. I rank these caves equally to the Reclining Buddha in Thailand.

The highlight of Laos was Louangphrabang. I loved everything about this beautiful place from the location of our guesthouse Jaliya Guesthouse to the temples , the famous Lao coffee, Mulberry shakes and the magnificent night markets.

Vang Vieng is a must see city aswell. Behind the town centre there is the air strip that the US used to land and fly off during the Vietnam war. Riding a bicycle on this strip was surreal.

The last stop in Laos wasVientiane.Vientiane has so much charm that you find yourself fighting to stay despite the air plane ticket you have booked to leave this magnificent country.

sharkfin says:
Very encouraging indeed. I'm planning my trip to the region now and was really excited about Laos. You only helped make me more excited. I wasn't sure about Vientiane but you may have sold me. I look forward to reading the rest of the blog.

Kango Backpacker
Pak Ou Caves....very special
Pak Ou Caves....very special
Kuang Si Waterfalls
Kuang Si Waterfalls
In Luang Prabang...the airstrip th…
In Luang Prabang...the airstrip t…
Luang Prabang