Cosmetic Surgery in Ilocos

Paoay Travel Blog

Paoay Church
We started the day early and awoke to a lovely breakfast of rice, eggs, Vigan longganisa (sausages) AND coffee. We didn't actually have to search high and low for it this time. Once ready, we headed to the bus depot and took one bound for Laoag, the capital city of Ilocos Norte, two hours north of Vigan, where Ted would be waiting for us. Laoag was one of the neighboring cities that Juan de Salcedo took over after his expedition to Vigan.

Once in there, we took a short tricycle ride to the Tiffany Hotel, close to Where ted was staying. Wow, this hotel sure is something else and a sight to be seen both inside and out.
Paoay Church
But anyway, I'll save that for the review. As we had no prior bookings anywhere, I'm just glad we lucked out once more on a reasonably priced room for 3. We met Ted at the Macy's Diner downstairs. He'd arrived the day before and flew directly to Laoag. After a leisurely lunch of more Ilocano delicacies including bagnet (yes, in a diner), we took a jeep to Paoay.

Either I was misinformed or I misheard. But from what I remember, Paoay was just a wee 15 minutes away from Laoag. Yeah, by jumbo jet maybe. But we were on a jeepney and the trip seemed like we took the neverending road to forever. Not that I minded the distance or even the time it took at all, it's just that my mind was conditioned for a short drive. In any case, we alighted near the only point of interest we had time to visit - the Paoay Church. It truly is majestic. Like the Nuestra SeƱora de la Asuncion in Sta.
Paoay Church
Maria, the Church of St. Agustine of Paoay (the churches in the Philippines are usually referred to by their location, not so much their names) is one of four baroque churches listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site (third and fourth being the San Agustin Church in Intramuros, Manila and the Church of Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Miag-ao in Iloilo, in the Visayan region.

The lower part of the church's facade is made from stuccoed bricks while the upper portion was constructed from coral blocks. On the sides of the church are 24 stone buttresses which help make the structure earthquake-friendly and give it a really massive feel especially when viewed diagonally.
Paoay Church
Ironically, the interior is regrettably stark, forsaken and failed to impress. Again I thought it lacked the character of other historic churches in the country. A friend once likened the mossy walls of the churches we saw in Bohol to wrinkles on an old man's face. How spot on she was and I think this is what the churches in this region lack. Not so much the moss per se, but other natural signs of old age that give the place dignity and a sense of regality. A fresh coat of paint that covers up the natural blemishes is not exactly the kind of face-lift required and only makes it look like a nose job gone wrong.

There seems to be much confusion regarding the construction and completion on the Paoay Church so I'm lifting the inscription off the plaque which should give a more accurate description: "Parish founded by Augustinian Missionaries, 1593. Cornerstone of church laid 1704; of convent, 1707; of bell tower, 1793. Used before completion and kept in repair by the people under the joint auspisces of the Church and the town officials. Inauguration ceremonies 28 February 1896. Church damaged by earthquake 1706 and 1927. Tower used as observation post by Katipuneros during the Revolution, by guerrillas during the Japanese occupation."

Isabetlog says:
You're probably right! Of course, I'm no expert, but that does make a lot of sense!
Posted on: Jun 19, 2008
lagkat says:
Could it be that these two churches -- Sta. Maria and Paoay -- are bare and undecorated (especially compared to churches in Manila and Bohol) because of the Ilocanos' famously austere and practical ways? They are not known to be ostentatious by nature, right?
Posted on: Jun 19, 2008