Heading home

London Travel Blog

London Airport
My way home was not as easy as getting to Canada. I arrived at the London Airport way too early at around 2:45pm so I had a bunch of time to kill because my plane wasn't going to leave until 4:40pm. I thought international flight, should be there early. Well, check in took me 5 minutes. So I went outside and  took some pictures. Went back inside. Read a little. Wandered around the airport some more and then I went through security 5 minutes before boarding time just because there was absolutely nothing to do once you passed security. The plane was a little delayed which would have caused a problem, but it turned out not to be a problem once I got to Detroit.
So I made it to Detroit alright. The flight was a bit bumpy in that little plane. We arrived in Detroit at around 6pm, I rushed through customs and immigrations which was over so quickly.
London Airport
Detroit officially my favorite airport at this point, but when I arrived at my gate I noticed that the boarding time was already 45 minutes later than it was suppose to be. So I got a snack and didn't think anything of it. I sat down ate, read a little, listened to some music. So boarding time rolled around. We got on the plane at 8:15pm, which at this point was the time that I was suppose to already be in D.C. Well, I called my friend and told her not to come pick me up, I would take a cab home from the airport. Good call, because after about 30 minutes on the plane we were asked to unboard, deboard.. well get off! The flight crew had been working going on 13 1/2 hours and had to be changed out. Plus we hadn't received a take off time. So everyone got off the plane.
Canadian plane

Once we were back at the gate it already had a new boarding time posted for 10:30pm, I thought WOW!
But since I have no job and my husband wasn't home either I figures I wasn't going to be one of the 50 people harassing the poor lady at the gate with my unimportant questions. I stood by close enough to hear what was said. I hadn't watched TV in about a week so I had no idea that there were heavy thunderstorms surrounding D.C. which turned out to be the problem. Once I heard that, I went to the departure board and saw that every flight to D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York and New Jersey had been either delayed or canceled all together. I guess at this point I was lucky that my flight was the only one that was still listed as "only" delayed.
Stats of the plane

10:30pm rolled around and there was no sign of us getting on that plane any time soon because the replacement flight crew had not arrived yet. At 11:15pm we finally got our second and final boarding call. Everyone got on that plane quickly, stowed their luggage and sat down. The passengers were ready for final take off but the plane need some gas now. Which is funny since it had been sitting there for the past 5 1/2 hours and no one thought of that before. So we sat for another 15 minutes and then we finally rolled away from the gate.
The flight time was super short with only 1 hour and 10 minutes. We landed in D.C. at 1:35am and I was at home and in bed at 2:15am.
Wow, what a day!