AsiaJapanKyoto

Kyoto Day 4

Kyoto Travel Blog

Raining in the morning

In the morning, when we were leaving the hotel, it was raining. I saw that many people who walked in front of the hotel brought transparent umbrellas. What a beautiful umbrella. In Indonesia, there is no umbrella like that. Again, I acted like a village people, easily amazed by a simple thing.

On the way to the first school we were going to visit, we met a traffic jammed. It was surprising, I thought I would not find one here in Japan, but today I did :D

Nagaoka 8 was the elementary school that we visited today. The students didn't wear uniform. I just knew that the students who wore uniform were only junior and senior high school students. We were welcomed by the school management and also grade six students. They played recorder and sang beautiful songs.

The six graders at Nagaoka 8 School
The song sounded mysterious and sad, it made me cry. Ibu Miyo told me that the song was about hometown, if I am not mistaken the title was "Furusato".

This school had a special program, healthy eating program. The mascot was a purple sweet potato. A journalist came to interview us. I didn't know who chose me to answer his questions. He asked me about our visit so far. I told him how I was amazed by the students' discipline and the cleanliness of Japanese schools.

Our second visit for today was Rokuon-ji Temple or Golden Pavilion. But, before we went there we had lunch first at Westin Shing Miyako. Rokuon-ji was a villa of a shogun before turned into a temple. It was situated in a middle of a pond. The exterior walls were covered by gold.

The Golden Pavilion Temple
The environment there was like in a forest. We met Korean students who had a study tour there.

After from Rokuon-ji, we would have a Tea Ceremony. The ceremony took place at a traditional house. We went to the back part of the house. We passed small garden before we reached a small room. There were not many furniture in that room, as I remember there were only some paintings and calligraphy.

We were accepted by two gentelmen, one young and one old. They were father and son. They delivered us a tea bowl for each. Each bowl had different picture. The tea ceremony was a new thing for me. I felt so lucky I could experience it. [I will write a review about it]

As usual, we had dinner before we went back to the hotel. Most of my friends wanted to shop.

Preparing the tea
Did I want to shop? Not really, because I  brought only a little pocket money :). So, Ibu Miyo took us to Shijokyogoku. It was a shopping arcade. We had dinner closed to it. We had tempura for our dinner. I love tempura!

Ibu Halimah told me that she wanted to buy her son a jacket. Since it was winter, many jackets were sold. But, I thought the jackets were only suitable for winter, not for in Indonesia. At the first shop, I found a jacket that I was very interested in. Why? Because it was pink and the price was only 1000 yen or about Rp80 000. So, it was really cheap. Without thinking twice, I bought it. Ibu Halimah did the same thing, she bought a jacket too, the color was cream. I told her that she looked like a wife of high rank goverment employee :D, very classy. Then, we continued looking for a jacket for her son. We didn't go too far from the entrance. Unlike our gentlemen friends, they were really serious in shopping for their family.

Then, we went back to the hotel by taxi. The bus didn't wait for us.

YantiSoeparno says:
Yes, I was very lucky with all the experiences I got in Japan ;D
Unfortunately, I did't go to the second floor, since you know.... :-(
Posted on: Dec 13, 2008
genex13 says:
The transparent umbrellas were sooo cool. I bought one, because of the heavy rain. But that was in Tokyo the day of the big Typhoon hitting it. It was lilac, but I forget it. Now it's with a friend of mine. *sigh*

You were sooo lucky to have tea ceremony.

The shopping arcades are marvelous. Even the second floor was occupied by stores.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2008
Computer time @ Nagaoka
Computer time @ Nagaoka
Sweet Potato Character
Sweet Potato Character
In front of Westin Shing Miyako Ho…
In front of Westin Shing Miyako H…
Rokuon-ji = Golden Pavilion Temple
Rokuon-ji = Golden Pavilion Temple
Me... :)
Me... :)
Preparing the tea, Ibu Miyo explai…
Preparing the tea, Ibu Miyo expla…
The utensils to make tea
Shijokyogoku Shopping Arcade
Shijokyogoku Shopping Arcade
Kyoto Sights & Attractions review
An amazing cultural experience
Respect and beauty are dominant things showed in a tea ceremony. I was so lucky I could experience it at Bikoen Tea House, Kyoto. It is a tea shop at … read entire review
Kyoto