AsiaJapanKyoto

Kyoto Day 2

Kyoto Travel Blog

Kyoto

Today, we would start our visit. We had breakfast first at the restaurant. They served European and Japanese food. I chose the European one, bread, jam, potato, and tea.

First, we were taken to a high spot (maybe a hill) that allow us to see Kyoto City from above. It was magnificent. It was my first sightseeing in Japan. The environment and the view were very different with in Indonesia. I could feel the winter air at the first time. It was a lovely morning for me. I was very happy that day.

After having a sightseeing, we were taken to Kiyomizuyaki. It was a center of ceramic industry. It was like a village where all houses produce ceramics. They had a showroom to display the artworks.

We were led to a house that had a workshop at the back side and a showroom at the front.

Pose
The owner explained to us about the ceramic industry and also taught us how to make. We didn't learn the whole process, we only learned to decorate tea bowls. We could choose one type of tea bowl and the picture that we could copy.

We drew using brushes. First, we had to draw using black ink. The ink was not permanent. We used it only for the outline, then the ink would disappear after the baking process. I found it difficult to manage the brush. It was even more difficult to make a fine line. I saw the teacher could draw fine line very easily. Ha ha ha, of course she was a master...

After finishing our drawing on the bowls, we were shown other part of the workshop, the racks full of ceramic and also the oven. The last was the showroom.

Ceramic Lesson at Kiyomizuyaki
Many beautiful things were displayed, bowls. cups, jars, big and small. They were all beautiful. I checked the price, and... all of them were expensive... hu hu hu hu I couldn't afford it.

Our masterpieces were left to be baked. They would be sent straight to our hotel in Tokyo. We departed from Kiyomizuyaki to Rihga Royal Kyoto to have lunch. The menu was European food, so it was okay with me.

After having lunch, we visited Ryoan-ji Temple. It didn't look like a temple for me. It was more like a big traditional wooden house. The garden was a traditional Japanese garden, where they mixed stones and plants.

Inside the temple, there was a stone garden. It was very famous. Usually, visitors sit down beside the garden and take a silent moment for a while and look to the garden.

Stone Garden at Ryoan-Ji Temple
They may meditate if they want. We were told that the temple was ever burned a long time ago. I forgot about the story.

Our last visit for today was Kyoto University. The campus was an old campus. It didn't look like a modern building. We had a big meeting with the lecturers and the students. We also met Indonesian people who studied there. One of the lecturer presented about teenagers in Japan. He could speak Indonesian well. The professor, his Indonesian was even better. He also could speak Sundanese language, because his wife was a Sundanese.

What was more interesting was the students explained to us about how to escape from earthquake or tsunami. They presented in pictures and drama and... in Bahasa Indonesia. WoW! They were amazing! They were included Dora Emon and Nobita characters in the drama. They had presented thet drama in front of children in Aceh, one of regions in Indonesia that swept by tsunami in December 2005 (if I am not mistaken). By the way, I also joined the drama as one of the characters.

After the presentation, they took us to a restaurant that serve all chicken. They also served raw chicken, but I didn't dare to eat. During the dinner, we discussed with the students and the lecturers, and also Indonesian students of course.

Then, we went back to the hotel. The first day was amazing.

YantiSoeparno says:
Yeah, you are right. They're all pretty and cute but expensive :-(. I didn't buy any. But, I'm satisfied that I brought a bowl that I painted by myself ;-)
Posted on: Dec 07, 2008
genex13 says:
It's so cool, that you could see the workroom of one of the potteries.
They make lovely ceramics. I brought a set as souvenir with me. It was sooo difficult to choose which one. I could have bought the whole shop.
Posted on: Dec 07, 2008
Stone Garden at Ryoan-Ji Temple
Learning how to paint on ceramic b…
Learning how to paint on ceramic …
Lunch at Rihga Royal Kyoto