Getting to La Push

La Push Travel Blog

We live in Utah, Orem to be exact, and it is a 17 hour drive to get to La Push, Washington from our house.  We've tried different routes but it seems to take about the same amount of time no matter which way we go.  There are longer routes, to be sure, but a significantly shorter route seems to be unavailable.  There was a time when we split the drive between two days but after a couple of those trips, having four days of driving (two going, two coming) seemed like a waste of time that could be better spent at La Push.  We now just leave about 3 a.m. (Mtn time) and arrive at the cabin around 7 pm (Pacific time).  Long, but doable.

This trip, my daughter Jen and I were the only ones driving in my car.  My son Michael and his wife Heidi decided to take a separate car and do it in two days as they weren't sure whether Marcus and Ian, the two-year old twins, were up to 17 hours in carseats!  Wise decision on their part.  My daughter Tiffany was already there, having flown up a week early to do some beach camping and hiking with a friend.  Jen got sick the night before we were to leave and was pretty thrashed the entire trip so I got to drive the all 17 hours!!  Yeah, I was glad to get there.

We drove through Snoqualmie Pass, through Seattle then took the Kingston-Edmonds ferry over to the peninsula.  From there it's about two and a half hours to La Push through some of the most beautiful scenery in the country.   Getting there  around 7 allows time to get checked in, settled in, make a sandwich or warm some soup and go out to the beach for the sunset.  The smell of the forest and the sea, the  sound of the waves and birds, the feel of the sand underfoot and the cool moistness of the air gently massage the senses -- ahhhh.... yes, I'm home.
La Push