Explorations in Soccer

Amsterdam Travel Blog

I mean, futbol.

I'm starting to get in idea of what exactly my life will be like for the next two months or so.  Wake-up.  Have breakfast.  Explore city.  "Home" to write in journal.  Siesta.  Dinner.  Out at night.  That's been my routine for the past two days and its shaping up to be that way for next two months.

Tonight, I got to explore the international phenomenon of soccer.  Or, like I said, futbol.  As luck would have it, I am here in Europe at the same time as the Euro 2008 - the 2008 European Cup tournament.  Everyone is soccer craaayyyy-zay to say the least.  And, as luck would have it, I happen to be in Holland when Holland had made it to the playoff round of the tournament.  Preparations for tonight's game was underway since I got here.

Ammy is full of canals.
  The whole city was a sea of orange and soccer balls.

My friends and I got prime seats in front of the TV at our hostel bar.  "When in Rome, do as the Romans do."  So I cheered.  For Holland.  And drank lots of beer.  Booed and hissed at the refs and at Russia when necessary - even if I didn't quite know what I was booing and hissing about.

I am sorry to say that even though this game was fun - I still don't really like soccer any more than I did before.  People say baseball is boring, but damn!  Soccer is so long!  After the first fifteen minutes of watching grown men played a glorified version of Keep Away (or Hot Potato), I began to get bored.  I start checking out the players.  (And yes, soccer players are obnoxiously cute, David Beckham nonwithstanding.

Clubbing with the Dutch!
)  I start to watch the fans.  I start to drink more beer than I actually like to consume out of boredom.  I think the fans are more interesting than the actual game - they are so passionate.

After Holland lost in 2nd overtime to Russia - I went to explore the streets of Amsterdam.  There is something awe-inspiring and sad and funny about a sea of people dressed in orange looking so dejected!  There were drunk girls decked out in orange glittering soccer balls crying outside of bars that were equally decked out in orange glittering soccer balls.  And get this: practically every single bar was playing the song "You've Got to Look on the Bright Side of Life".  I don't know about you, but when my team loses, consoling positive songs really get on my nerves.

Anyway, I get to be in Berlin when Germany plays... uh, somebody (Spain?) in the next round of the tournament.  I am excited for that.  I hope Germany wins because I heard that wins inspire its fans to riot and set shit on fire and run through street naked, drunk, and cheering.  So - go Germany!  (Even though I don't really know or like soccer!)

Tomorrow, I am off to the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum.

I've had enough of soccer.  For now anyway.

rayramon says:
have fun, Ammy is great place to party.

love&peace!