The Eiffel Tower

Paris Travel Blog

w/ the Tower
    Despite my complete uninterest in seeing Paris' most famous monument, I hopped onto the subway to see it - if only because coming to Paris and NOT seeing it would be like going to Rome and NOT seeing a church.
    I got off at Trocadero and trudged to the Siene, following fellow hordes of tourists, to see the Eiffel Tower.

I had my trepidations.  If you have never read a history of the Eiffel Tower or of the World's Fair, I suggest you do.  Because once you find out that the Eiffel Tower was basically a result of the competition between world leaders (ie. MEN) to see who could build the world's biggest phallic symbol, (OH!  That's very odd, why would men compete over who has the biggest c---?!) the whole thing kind of loses its appeal.
And the tower, again.

It loses a lot of it's appeal.  In fact, it loses all of it's appeal.  I'm sorry, I just don't see any beauty or romance in a gigantic phallic symbol.

Anyway, so I saw the Eiffel Tower.  I took the requisite pictures (which is really hard, by the way, and kind of lame when you're traveling alone!).  I strolled slowly over the Siene to see ET up close.  The sun had set and dusk had fallen over the landscape.  I watched other tourists take their pictures.  The tower was lit up in brilliant blue lights.
    And JUST when I started to think, Hey, maybe the Eiffel Tower isn't that bad.  I can see how people think is romantic and beautiful.  It's kind of sweet.  Just when I started to concede that --- the tower started to.
Underneath the tower. *giggle*giggle*snort*
.. to... SPARKLE.

Like a Christmas tree.

On crack.

Did you just hear me?!  THE EIFFEL TOWER STARTED TO SPARKLE LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE ON CRACK.  It blinged, for christssake.

As the tourists around me were oohing and ahhing in amazement, I started to laugh inanely.  I started to laught really hard.  Holy s---, that is the most horrendous thing I've ever seen in my ENTIRE life.  Not only do you have this horrible gigantic phallic symbol scarring the Parisian skyline; someone decided to let a 10-year old girl decorate it!  Ladies and gentlemen - it glitters too!  I am standing before a gigantic, blue, glittering... penis.

I couldn't take it any more; I went home.
golfballs says:
So Andie, did you also discover the origins of the phrase blue balls as well. Were there any large roundish object anywhere???
Posted on: Jul 21, 2008
    Today, after getting settled in my hotel, I braved the Parisian Metro in order to visit with Jimmy.

I got directions to Pere-Lachaise and wandered this fearsome cemetary until I found Jimmy.

Once there, I sat with him a while, drank a Heiniken with him, listened to some of his music and left.

It was cool to visit with Jimmy.
Underneath the tower.
*giggle*gig…
Underneath the tower. *giggle*gi…
La Siene
...and creepy again.
...and creepy again.
Catacombe de Paris
Catacombe de Paris
6 millions remains, down here.
6 millions remains, down here.
Notre Dame gargoyles.