EuropeItalyRome

Ciao, Roma...

Rome Travel Blog

W/ Danny

Like I said before, I am absolutely ENAMOURED with Rome!  I can't believe I am leaving today.

I have spent the past couple of days in an orgy of museums, ruins, Romans, Emporers, Christians, the Holy Roman Catholic Church, wine wine wine, and food food food.

Sunday was our Roman Empire day - the boys (Jim & Danny) and I spent the day exploring the Colleseum, Roman ruins, and other must-see sights of Rome.  Everywhere we went was crawling with tourists like us, but regardless of the crowds, I loved it.  (And yes, I took pictures, Mom.)  I was not by myself, so I couldn't lost myself in the Past like I have done, but it was fun to converse the boys on the history of the Roman Empire.

W/ Jimmy

Yesterday, we ventured into the Vatican City.  What an amazing place.  I kind of ditched the boys because they were intent on conversing about the fallacies of religion and the crimes commited by the Church.  Fair enough - but I didn't want to talk about it.  I am Roman Catholic and I don't consider myself religious but I have come to... love (like? appreciate?) the spirituality and faith I carry.  The Vatican City is... humbling.  Inside the Church, I said lit an offering and said a prayer for Grandma.  I thought she would like that.

As I am writing this, I find that I am reluctant to share my experience in the Church, not because I don't want to share but because... it's personal.  So I am going to stop now.

Ah, romantic.

The Sistine Chapel, in all honesty, was kind of a let down.  I was shoulder to shoulder with tourists all looking up and the entire chapel was dark in an effort to preserve it.  But it is nice to say I've been there.  The Vatican Museum though - OH!  Everybody knows the Church has an extensive collection of antiquities they are reluctant to share but even the ones they do, are awesome.  It is a jumbled mess mess of ancient Greek and Roman art, Baroque design, some pieces from Ancient Eypt, and scientific pieces the Church once (still does?) considered blasphemy.  There is no real order to the museum, but it is still worth the time.

Other than that, Rome has been an orgy of food and wine.  I resolved that as long as I am in Rome and Paris, I am only drinking wine.

Demure in the Roman night.
  The boys and I ate out every night.  Bottle of chianti, fresh caprese, pasta, cheese plates, and meat.  Mmmm...  I spent a lot of time schooling the boys on food.  They aren't Foodies - so I highly enjoyed teaching someone what I know about Food and Wine for once, instead of being taught.  (See, I do listen to you Foodies of my life: brother Micheal, Jon, Jeremy and Nikki.)  I also spent that time delving headfirst into the Italian language.  I love it - it's such a beautiful language.  And I find it comprehensible, for some reason - easy for me to speak and understand.  I am a lot more adventurous at trying out my horrendous Italian than I was trying to speak Dutch or German or Serbian or Greek.  It's been fun.

Anyway, I'm getting hot in this Internet Cafe.  And I must go say goodbye to Rome.  The boys left to go home to Greece a couple of hours ago.  I was really sad.

I am on the road again!  I am on my own again!

Ciao!

golfballs says:
eh Andie, since you have expressed your knowledge as a newly worldly traveled FOODIE, your parents also known as EATIES, can't wait to taste your 8 country cuisine in lit ol' hawaii. So we've clean the pots and da dishes are dry. Hurry home so we can grind.
Continue to enjoy as you have done and tip a bottle for me in Parree.
Posted on: Jul 15, 2008