EuropeItalyRome

Becoming Canadian

Rome Travel Blog

Vatican City, 3.

I have been learning a lot about those crazy Canadians lately, among the other things I've been learning in my travels.  Ellie & Jim & Danny are Canadians so my travels have been mainly me and a bunch of Canucks.  When I was traveling with E & J - it wasn't really an issue - we had other things to talk about.  BUT, then the other brother Danny came along.

The minute we picked up Danny, he and I immediately started bantering with each other about our home countires.  He would say everybody hates Americans (which, to be fair, is pretty true) and we cause all wars and we are fat and we are stupid and we are arrogant.  To which I would immediately reply that Canadians are just jealous because nobody cares about Canada and nobody knows where Canada is and they really have nothing to do up there in the frozen tundra and they need to get over their inferiority complex to the great USA.

Need to stay hydrated.
  It's been going on all week and really, I am right - what else does Canada have besides a bunch of snow and free health care?!  Ahhh, Canada - the great 51st state!  (J/k! J/k!)

And then it happened: I started talking like a Canadian.

"I'm going ouuwwt and abouwwwt, guys, I'm tired of waiting for you," I said last night.  Pause.  I heard my own Canadian accent.  In the silence, we all stare at each other.  Did the guys hear it?  Why am I speaking like a crazy Canadian?  Oh no!  I break the silence as I start to freak out.  Jim and Danny start laughing at me and I punch both of them through my panic.  "Ahhh, I've been hanging out with you guys so long, I'm starting to SOUND like you!!!  No one want to sound like a Canadian!!!!!"

That's karma for you - I make jokes all week about American Superiority and now I'm talking like a crazy Canuck.  Jim and Danny have assured me that it's just my subconcious need to be Canadian that is changing my accent.

Oh god, I am becoming Canadian.

Tally so far:  I'm coming home with some Serbian moonshine, a 17-year old Greek husband, and apparently, I'm Canadian now.

Need to stay hydrated.
Climbing to heaven is hard work.
Climbing to heaven is hard work.
See?  I told you.
See? I told you.
Woo - it was hard to get up here. …
Woo - it was hard to get up here.…
Beautiful.