Acropolis Be Damned!

Sparta Travel Blog

Acropolis.
    It's so HOT here in Greece!  I really was not expecting the overpowering heat.  And it's a real dry heat, too, the kind where you feel like you're going to spontaneously combust in the midday sun.

Yesterday, Jim and I headed into Athens to pick up another brother, Danny, from the airport and see the Acropolis.  (Ellie has disappeared to spend time with her boyfriend, so I haven't seen much of her since we got to Greece.)  Poor Danny, he spent 14 hours on a plane and we immediately dragged him to the Acropolis straight off the plane in 110 degree heat.  Oof.  Honestly, I wish I appreciated my time at the Acropolis more, but it was SO HOT.
The Acropolis in the heat.
  We had to climb up a mountain in desert heat to see blinding white marble ruins that were radiating heat too.  It was obnoxious.  I took pictures and tried to lose myself in my romanticism of Old Times but... it was hot.  By the time we got down the mountain to have a beer, I was heat cranky, Jim was a shweaty puddle, and Danny was exhausted.  So that was the Acropolis.

This morning, I got accosted by the extended family at breakfast - a tribunal of women not unlike the Aunties at home... except with all communication going through the one bilingual person in the room: E & J's mom.  True to the Greek stereotype, I was immediately married off.  One Aunt wanted to marry me to Jim.  Another to Danny.  Another wanted me to meet her son, marry him and take him to America so he could practice his English.
Trying to smile in the heat.
  (I later found out from Jim that her son is 17.  Grrreeeatttt.)
    I also met YaYa, E & J's grandmother.  She is about 98 years and extremely spunky for her age.  She told me I was beautiful but she wasn't sure if I was an eligible partner for any of her numerous grandsons because I looked like I had Gypsy blood in me.  She was angry that the Gypsys had somehow made it to Hawaii and she hadn't.  I laughed and laughed at her comments.  After she got comfortable with me, she ammended herself and said I had to absolutely marry one of her grandsons because I would have beautiful children and I was too educated and polite to be a Gypsy.  Hurray for me.  Yaya wasn't really concerned when I told her marriage wasn't really in my plans any time soon.
Being goofy in the Acropolis.

"Why else would you come to Greece, if not to get married?"
    Well.  Okay then.  Why else WOULD I come to Greece?!  Acropolis be damned!

Jim and Danny and I headed off to the beach today to escape the heat.  We found an even smaller, sleepier village on the sea somewhere after driving through the mountains for about 2 hours.  The Mediterranean Sea was a welcome relief from the heat.  I also got to eat some great cheap seafood courtesy of an Australian lady who opened up a small little restaurant on the Greek coast.  It was great.  Again, pictures were taken but not posted yet.

Jim and Danny are going to come to Rome with me!  Yay!  I have company!  Ellie wants to stay with her boyfriend here so I guess it's just me and the guys... again.

If I come home married to a 17 year old, sorry, Mom.
    Yaya made me do it.
golfballs says:
The Aunties and cousins want to know when is your bachelorette party is and what country it will be in!! :-)
Posted on: Jul 09, 2008
Its hot, Im shweating.
It's hot, I'm shweating.
View from the Acropolis.
View from the Acropolis.
Ahhh, relief from the heat.
Ahhh, relief from the heat.
The Mediterranean.
The church ruins, again.
The church ruins, again.
Church from a distance.
Church from a distance.
It took forever to get up here!
It took forever to get up here!
Sparta