Walking Around Derry

Derry Travel Blog

me in front of square in Derry
We arrived in Derry, or sometimes called Londonderry. I noticed the signs would have the London part sprayed off, showing that it is still a hot topic.

I did not have any medicine for this illness that was coming upon me, so I tried to look for a pharmacy, once we arrived in town, and I checked into the hostel. But none were open. The town just seems to shut down after sunset, making it a ghost town.

Later, we would go on the city walking tour. A guide showed us around town, and we went up on the city wall, which surrounds the city. We walked along it, looking at various parts of the city. Derry does seem like a charming town, retaining that medieval feel. There were cannons on the wall. Our guide showed us the various neighborhoods from the distances, and shared the history, as it related to the troubles of the 60's.
Free Derry sign

When we came down from the walls, we were shown the murals, mainly the ones on Bloody Sunday, and the troubles that plagued the North for many years. It was pretty moving. There was also the "Free Derry" sign that greets people as they drive into the city, along with memorials for those who lost their lives during that time.

After the tour, everyone went to a pub for dinner. I sat and had my dinner there. But I felt so much worse, that I could not even talk much. I had to ask one of the people for the key to the hostel, since only a few keys were given to some of the people. I was coughing like crazy, and my headache was getting worse.

I had to go to the hostel early, and went right to bed. It was difficult to sleep at times, and I hated to have to leave early.
city wall