Shamrocking to the North

County Meath Travel Blog

Trim Castle
This was the start of the 3-day Shamrocker tour, which would take me to Northern Ireland. I've heard a lot of things about Northern Ireland, most of them not positive. But I looked forward to checking it out.

The bus left Dublin, and along the way, we would make our introductions. As with the other tour, I noticed a lot of people from Oceania. I was one of the two Americans on the tour, and the only Asian. We would stop by a couple places before crossing into the North.

Our first stop was Trim Castle. We had only time to walk around it, which was what I did. Kind of a neat setting, with a creek flowing nearby.

Next, we stopped by Loughcrew, which had passage tombs going back to about 3300 BC. We were given a tour of the tomb, which had some markings inside.
inside Loughcrew
It was very small and tight, that the tour group had to split into 2 groups, with the guide giving 2 tours. The sun would provide light inside the tomb. Once I got back out, I enjoyed the view of the surrounding countryside.

Afterwards, we went to a cafe, which was where I got to mingle with some of the tour members. Unfortunately for me, the itch on my throat was only getting worse, which meant I would get sick even more. I hope it would pass after a day.

We left, and headed to the North. On the way, we would mingle with other people in the tour, and I got to know some more people. I feel this would be a fun group to be with.

We crossed into Northern Ireland, but only knew when our guide told us. There was no border checkpoint. According to our guide, the only way to know is that the roads are better in the North, and the speed limit and distance signs are in miles instead of kilometers.

We stopped by a town, so we can get some British pounds. After that, we headed to Derry.
me at Trim Castle
me at Trim Castle
countryside (seen from Loughcrew)
countryside (seen from Loughcrew)
writings on Loughcrew