Last Full Day

Dublin Travel Blog

Dublin Castle

A lot of attractions on my list, that I want to see in Dublin. I figure it would be better to spend it here, rather than take a day trip elsewhere.

I started off by walking through Merrion Square, a public park that had the statue of Oscar Wilde. Then I went to House #29, which was the Georgian House Museum. I went inside, and took a tour of the house. Basically, a typical house tour, with the place restored to the days of the late 18th century, with period furniture. Kind of nice, but not a must-see. But I did like looking at the various doors on the homes on that same street.

Then I went to the National Museum of Ireland, and finish up what I wanted to see.

inside Dublin Castle
After that, I would go see Dublin Castle. It was on a guided tour, and we would be shown around the castle. I would see the various rooms where royalty lived and ate, plus the throne. After seeing the castle, we then saw the original foundation of the place, dating back to the Middle Ages. It was underground, and kind of damp.

Along the way, I would bump into people from the Shamrocker tour group, and one group of guys invited me to hang with them. I told them that I would have to wait and see. I would head to the GAA Museum.

This museum was out of the way, so I had to take a bus there. Along the way, I would go under a railroad bridge, and noticed some kids throwing stones at me. I yelled at them, telling them that I already called the police, and they stopped. I didn't really!

So I got to the GAA Museum, but had only an hour left to see the museum and the stadium.
Croke Park
The museum was about the history of the sports in Ireland and Irish athletes. I had to skim through the history part, because of being short on time. Then I got to try playing some hurling, which is like hockey with no injury timeouts. I was terrible, but it was fun.

Next, I went to Croke Park, which is where the hurling tournaments were held, along with other sports. We were given an overview of the place, and I looked around the place. Very interesting!

I did stop by the Garden of Remembrance, but it was closed. This place was in memory of the people who gave up their lives for Irish independence. Then I took a walk on O'Connell Street, all the way to the bridge and the statue of Daniel O'Connell.

I thought about taking a ghost tour, thinking it would be a great way to close out my trip.
O'Connell Street
But I declined, since I was being cheap, and read mixed reviews about it.

Instead, I stopped by the Kinlay Hostel, to hang out with some of the guys from the tour. We played cards, and everyone else played a drinking game. I didn't drink, and they respected that, which I appreciated it very much. So I did not play that part, but it was funny seeing them getting smashed. I was having so much fun, but unfortunately it had to come to an end. With an early morning flight next day, I had leave. I said goodbye to all of them, which was very hard for me.

I stopped by Temple Bar to buy a few postcards, then had to return to the hostel. I started packing a little, then went to bed. But since I was still sick, it was tough for me to sleep.

OConnell Street