County Antrim Travel Blog

Dunluce Castle

We left Derry, and stopped by a supermarket, where I would stock up on some supplies. And I finally got some cough syrup, along with some food to eat for lunch. After that, we were on our way to Giant's Causeway.

Our first stop was Dunluce Castle, a castle that dates back to the Middle Ages. It was built on a side of a cliff, which can be scary. I walked up and down the castle, and all around the place. Also, looked out into the sea. The castle looks like it will fall off.

Then we went to the Giant's Causeway. There was the legend on how it was built, and there was the geology, which my guide thought was garbage. Whatever the case, it is still awe-inspiring to see. We start off with an introduction film, then walk around the Giant's Causeway.

Giant's Causeway
It  was a hill of columns, as if some kid placed them that as a building set. That is what makes it amazing. I walked up and down, where it can get uneven, and people can get a sprain.

After that, I walked along a trail on the cliff, then went back. I tried to walk to the rope bridge, but I later learned that it was at least 5 km away. I would go back to the bus, then went to the rope bridge.

Once we got there, we had to get in line. The bridge is narrow and kind of fragile, so traffic had to be controlled, with people going one way at a time, then people from the other direction. The wait was not long for me, and I got to cross it. It was a bit nerve-wrecking and awesome at the same time. A huge drop to the bottom.

After crossing the bridge, I got to the island, which was basically a hill on the water. With cliffs all around and no guardrails, it was a bit scary and breathtaking at the same time. I would not go too close to the edge. I enjoyed the views, of the sea and the islands far away.

I crossed the bridge back, and back to the bus. A bit of a walk. Then we headed for Belfast, where we would spend the night. Never thought I would be there, but I am.

Once we got there, I got to hang with the tour members at a pub, and had dinner with them. It was a fun night.

Dunluce Castle ruins