I am the Cake Lady

Findlay Travel Blog

Friday after school, Mom and Dad picked me up and we headed for the University of Findlay and their homecoming weekend.  While 23 cakes (ground effect shows) isn't the biggest, most exciting show ever, we still had a good time.

Upon arrival, I knew things would go pretty smoothly.  We were set up on a very nice paved parking lot.  Security was top notch.  I mean, better than some shows that have 6" shells.  The campus staff was extremely friendly.

It took us only around two hours to set up completely.  The biggest trick was the angeled effects.  You need to make sure they are open enough to clear the other cakes and the mortar boxes.

After all the cakes were placed and wired up, Mom and I went on a food and WalMart run (food = McDonalds - we're not fancy when setting up shows; WalMart = flashlights - oops.)

After everything was completely set up and less than an hour from fire-time, I discovered that setting up a show in September is a whole lot different than setting one up in July.  I got COLD.  Mom and I buzzed to the Rite-Aid on the corner that thankfully had a zip-up hooded sweatshirt (One of my two favorite articles of clothing).

The show went awesome.  There were more in attendance than expected.  It's funny, we got a better reception for this short little ground effect show than we have for most large shows.  I'd do this one again and again.

Clean up wasn't bad.  The bad part of shooting on a parking lot is that you need to leave it pretty spic-and-span.  I got to play with the giant vaccum cleaner, so that was fun until it wouldn't suck up the stupid little circular ends of some of the effects.  Then it just got annoying.  Oh, and that gold powder that lives in small tubes that gets all over the place is a messy pain in the butt, too.  I LOVE the effect (it shoots out these sprays of gold) but it's YUK to clean.

I think this was our "swan song" for the year; but WHO KNOWS!?!?!

FishAtHeart says: