From the flying camera to where's Geri?

Madrid Travel Blog

I'm British with Spanish heritage on my mother's side. What's more, my parents live there! So, you'd have probably expected me to have travelled to mainland Spain before =) Finally, after meeting some Americans, I had the perfect excuse to head over and do some exploring, eating and drinking.

I flew from my local airport direct to Madrid in just 1 hour and 10 minutes. I spent the first night wandering around the city on my own, getting the basics in stock; water and a supply of chewing gum. This was my first time in Spain and I can only speak around 20 words of Spanish - it wasn't long before I realised that no one really spoke English and i was quickly resorting to gesturing and pointing. I discovered that 'dos' and 'gracias' are the two most important words :D With these words you can order anything - point, say 'dos' followed by 'Gracias'.
.. no one is any the wiser that you haven't got a clue what else transpired!!

That night I was accosted by an elderly Welsh couple at the hotel bar. They were from my own home town and I quickly discovered they were annoying the hell out of me! I guess not everyone from your home is worth knowing :D Fortunately in the morning, I was joined by Ruthie, Geri and Peggy from the US.

Madrid is very pretty, full of small cobbled streets and plazas. The food and the air quality in Madrid is just plain awful though. They focus way too much on paella and its just a cheap way to rip off tourists. Other dishes were just as bad. I was surprised actually, I didn't expect the food to be terrible. Luckily the Barcadi and Cokes were strong and Ruthie and I seemed to be surviving on them =)
Madrid