A couple of days in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

We returned to Chiang Mai, and actually took some time to see the place this time!

We arrived at the bus station just as the heavens were about to open, and by the time we arrived into the centre of town on a songthaew it was a deluge. We cowered in a hotel/cafe/restaurant place and had something to eat while we waited for the rain to stop. Once it had, we headed out to find somewhere to stay, and found somewhere quite central and pretty cheap.

One of our days in Chiang Mai we'd booked ourselves onto a cookery course. I thought that it was a little disappointing, as we didn't get to do quite what was billed in the advertising, and it seemed to be more about messing around than actually learning how to cook.

We did another tour of some of the temples, and in one we came across an area where there was a little cafe and a sign advertising "Monk Chat".
Night bazaar
Indeed, as soon as we sat down for a drink a monk descended on us, and we had a very enjoyable and lengthy chat, which seemed mainly aimed at improving his English rather than teaching us about Buddhism. We had a good time, though.

Whilst in Chiang Mai we also went to the night bazaar, where Zoe bought a watch which worked for a few weeks! She had to haggle to get the price down by a factor of eight, or so. At one end of the night market we found a British pub, where we stopped to have dinner. A bit poor, I know, but it was good fun, although rather expensive!

We left Chiang Mai just before the start of Song Kran, the Thai new year celebrations. This could be regarded as a disappointment, but we'd heard that they go a bit mad in Chiang Mai, so in the end we had mixed feelings about missing it, and instead headed for more sedate celebrations in Ayuthaya.

I don't know whether we missed something in Chiang Mai, but to me it was one of the least interesting places we visited in Thailand. I know a lot of people travel there, and perhaps it's just to access treks and other trips in the north of Thailand. I didn't think the city itself was that special.
Monk chat