Sightseeing in Sukhothai

Sukhothai Travel Blog

Having got over my one-day bout of food poisoning, we duly headed out to do the tour of the historical sites in old Sukhothai. The site is outside the new town, so we had to locate the right bus, which we managed to do. After a brief wait the bus headed off and we were soon in old Sukhothai perusing the range of rental bikes available. As usual in Asia there weren't any that we big enough for me, but Zoe's was fine, and the fact that mine was too small was enough of a leveller to mean I wasn't racing on ahead of her, so it worked out well. They were very cheap to hire, as well.

It was a very hot day to be cycling around in the full sun, so we took it pretty steadily, and were very relieved when it came to the time to flop into a restaurant for lunch.
Before lunch we did a big loop on the outskirts of town, to take in some of further away temples. Getting to one temple involved climbing up a hill on foot after having left our bikes at the bottom. The ride in the countryside was quite pleasant, apart from the heat, and we saw a good number of large Buddha statues, which was the aim of the day! By the time we'd had lunch and set off again for an afternoon touring the site in the centre of the old town, we were getting a little less excited by brick chedis and large Buddhas; there's enough similarity between the different temples that it probably wasn't necessary to try to see as many of them as we did. The large site in the centre of town is quite manicured, which made it less enjoyable for me than some of the more outlying temples.

We got the bus back to new Sukhothai when we'd finished; there was a bus there waiting when we got to the bus stop, which was pleasing!
The bus to old Sukhothai