Sightseeing in Singapore

Singapore Travel Blog

The Fullerton Hotel

OK. This is going to be quick!

Actually that may be a bit unfair: we didn't go to Sentosa Island, so we may have missed out on the biggest attraction going. However, sightseeing is not what Singapore's famous for, and we found it generally a bit disappointing. We'd expected to love Singapore - we thought that it would be a bit like Hong Kong - but we didn't find the place terribly engaging, and we stayed only four days. Another issue for us was the huge hole it was quickly burning in our budget; we moved onto Malaysia, and cheaper everything.

So what did we actually do in Singapore? The highlight was a trip to the zoo, which was quite enjoyable. We definitely enjoyed the reliable public transport which got us there, as well. The zoo is large, and has spacious enclosures. A few of the animals still looked none too happy, but it was generally a better experience than other zoos I'd been to.

New meets old
We didn't go to the night safari, which is supposed to be worth doing.

The world's largest fountain, in Suntec City, was a bit disappointing. Chinatown is so done up that it looks like Disney made it. The Merlion really isn't spectacular at all. Oh, and we popped by Raffles as well.

We did some bits and pieces of shopping. I bought some new sunglasses which turned out to give me a headache when I wore them. It took a long argument in the shop before I persuaded them to give me my money back. Although there are so many shops in Singapore we didn't find that the prices were necessarily lower than at home, and so we didn't buy anything much.

We had a good time drinking iced coffees in air-conditioned coffee shops. That was one of the best bits of Singapore, but it definitely ended up eroding our budget even further.

We had some good food in Singapore; we had a really good curry in Little India, at a place called the Copper Chimney. We also took the opportunity to head for English and Irish pubs. I'm not sure we did Singapore justice, but it just wasn't doing it for us.

yheleen says: