Like Singapore, but interesting

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Petronas Towers

We found KL so much more interesting than Singapore. Ironic, then, that we only spent a couple of days there, having spent four in Singapore. The place seemed so much more real; it's still all modern and Western, but there are more interesting little corners with fun things hidden in them, and we generally had a much better time there.

We stayed in a pretty nasty-feeling hostel in Chinatown; that was definitely worse than our Singapore experience. For sightseeing we went to the Petronas Towers (obviously), and went up the KL Tower for a great view of the city. One night we headed to a local market to eat at the food stalls; the food was excellent.

Probably because there's a lot of card fraud associated with Malaysia, as soon as I used my bank card in the ATM it got stopped, and I had to phone the bank to get it reactivated. This would have been fine except for the fact that the cheap phone card we'd bought for phoning home used a connection which would cut you off every three minutes or so, which became very frustrating. I had to make something like five calls to the bank before I was able to make myself understood, as every time you call a call centre you get a different person.

One of the slightly annoying things about KL was the publi transport system: they like to pretend they've got an integrated system, but the different metro and monorail lines don't quite meet up with each other, and sometimes you have to walk quite far to make connections.

Petronas Towers
Mall at the foot of the Petronas T…
Mall at the foot of the Petronas …
Dinner at the Sunday market
Dinner at the Sunday market
Sunday market
Sunday market
Monorail
Monorail
Now thats what I call a leaf!
Now that's what I call a leaf!
KL Tower