AsiaVietnamHanoi

Arriving in Vietnam

Hanoi Travel Blog

We arrived into Hanoi airport after the short flight from Bangkok, and hopped on a bus into the centre of the city. We'd read beforehand about the touts and con artists who'd be there waiting for you, and sure enough there was a guy on the bus who insisted on talking to us and trying to find out whether we had anywhere to stay. Presumably he was on commission from one of more hotels; we just told him that we already had accommodation sorted out (which was a lie) and eventually he lost interest.

I got very annoyed with the bus conductor when he threw us off the bus at some random place in the city centre, but in the end it turned out not to be too long a walk from where we wanted to go, and it would have been further if we'd stayed on the bus any longer. Perhaps he gauged from our backpacks roughly where in the city we wanted to go. Not speaking a word of Vietnamese we didn't really have a clue what was going on.

We wandered around looking for somewhere to stay, having to fend off offers of motorcycle taxis every few seconds (literally). I'm not sure I'd fancy sitting on the back of a motorbike with a huge rucksack on, and we were basically where we wanted to be already in any case. We found somewhere to stay after not too long, and settled in.

Hanoi