My thoughts on Aruba

Oranjestad Travel Blog

Gorgeous Aruban Trees
I had no idea what to expect of Aruba, I went because Joyce wanted to go (East Coasters and their idea of vacations.. =) Us West Coasters think of Hawaii as our prime vacation spots!) and I had an extra timeshare week to use.

From the moment I got on the connecting flight to Aruba, I decided people from Aruba were generally kind and considerate and that there is no way that girl that got kidnapped a few years back was assailed by locals. After hearing local Aruban people talk about how they tried every means to help this family, I was very upset remembering the distressed family's resorting to ask Americans to boycott this beautiful country. I mean, there are always bad seeds no matter where you go, but my impression firmly stands that Aruba is a generally peaceful, safe environment.
Brazilian Food!

There's a pretty full palate of entertainment, from shopping to watersports. I saw my fill in this lifetime of young, east coast wealthy, straight-out-of-college, Abercrombie-wearing honeymooners while we were there. My favorite moment there was when this snotty blonde girl riding on the backseat of the ATV as her husband motored across the rocks turned back, and seeing us in obvious distress said "Haven't you ever ridden an ATV before?" Joyce shot back "Sorry bitch, I don't speak Barbie." Hahaaa! I guess you had to be there, eh?

The environs are really gorgeous to look at, although it's a different story altogether to navigate this place. There are some natural wonders, like the Natural bridges and the Natural Pool (I think that's what it's called).
Iguana!!
Beware, though, the beaches are not sandy, but very rocky. Joyce and I are smiling in that picture on the ATV, but that is definitely BEFORE the 2 hour long ride from hell. I thought multiple times during our ride that I was going to die on some of the razor sharp rocks since there was no path to walk or ride on.

There are few roads in Aruba, but like Mexico, they aren't exactly labeled well. The roundabouts give you a moment to think about which way you're going - we should really have more roundabouts in the States.

The food is varied, from Caribbean to Dutch to American. I didn't get to try the local delicacy, which is apparently illegal to make, go figure - Iguana! Scary. There were iguanas just chilling on the pavement near our hotel and I have a pretty great picture of one here.
Feeding Ostrich!

We managed to find our way to an Ostrich Farm after getting very lost somewhere more inland and stopping multiple times to ask directions. Joyce was brave enough to actually ride an ostrich, but I won't embarrass her by putting the pictures up. =) We were allowed to feed the ostriches which was kind of scary as they have some pretty strong beaks and you never can tell if an animal can distinguish your hand from a bit of food! Apparently Ostriches mate for life, and if one partner dies, the chances of the surviving ostrich finding a new mate are near zero. We were offered ostrich burgers afterwards, but not surprisingly, we all passed on it.

If you like watersports you're in luck - the beaches are connected on the West side of Aruba, so you can literally walk from hotel to hotel along the beach, as they're inches away from the water.
Paradise!
The ocean is very beautiful but definitely a bit rougher than expected. You have to go on a pirate ship if you visit - the deck hands all do crazy acrobatics dangling on the ropes and are kind and caring. Considering I can't swim, I was really lucky to have these local deck hands keep an eye on me. Give me a yellow noodle and an ocean and perhaps a ladder I can cling to, and I'm good!

There are also plenty of clubs that charge no cover, but seem to be inundated with high schoolers. (Don't you have school tomorrow?!) They move in an easy, un-selfconscious manner to the ubiquitous reggae music.

Unfortunately there isn't really much in the way of souvenirs. I think the only ones I came back with were a sunburn and a bottle of pure aloe vera.
jenn79 says:
Hey Warren, haven't heard from you in ages. Aruba is very nice, but very honeymoon-ey. What are you looking for, perhaps I could help direct you?
Posted on: Apr 21, 2009
ocwarren says:
Jenn,
When you get back will you tell me more?
I was thinking about taking a ride south and just want to see what I'm getting myself into.

Posted on: Apr 18, 2009
pushirubiano says:
Thanks for your kind words about Aruba. I do think we got an undeserved bad rap about that. Anyhow... aren't those ostriches COOL? ;-)
Posted on: Jul 06, 2008
More Pirate ships!
More Pirate ships!
Joyce, her Aviators, and french fr…
Joyce, her Aviators, and french f…
Whats up with NYers and their wif…
What's up with NYers and their wi…
I look stoopid.
Natural Pool
Natural Pool
Better shot of the Natural Pool
Better shot of the Natural Pool
Gorgeous, but rough water.
Gorgeous, but rough water.
Private rendezvous..